Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Proper tool to remove and install muzzle brake

Feedback Score

Proper tool to remove and install muzzle brake

I will be installing a SureFire muzzle brake on my Colt LE 6920. Is there a special wrench for taking off the stock flash suppressor and tightening the SureFire muzzle brake. Is there a required torque for the new SureFire muzzle brake?

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Your best option is a Hammerhead rifle tool. If you use a wrench (unless it is thin walled) you will damage the crush washer.

As for the torque you need to read the instructions for whatever Surefire recommends. I believe that they use shims and you will need to make sure to clean the threads to apply the Rocksett.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The other main thing is to use a hold the barrel in a barrel vice.

Holding the receiver and cranking on the flash hider can and does mess things up.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post

Holding the receiver and cranking on the flash hider can and does mess things up.
    I don't have these tools, so I think the safest bet is take it to a good gunsmith and have him put it on. I don't want to screw-up my new Colt.

Thanks for the replies.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post

Impossible with most free float rails. At the 15-20 ft lbs of torque it takes to secure a flash hider you will not damage a receiver held in a clam shell or other type receiver block. If you properly torque to the 15-20 ft lbs you don't need rocksett. If you are using a suppressor torque to 25-30 max with a couple drops of rocksett.

The tool you need is an armorers wrench.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/762...ch-ar-15-steel

They are cheap enough everyone should have one. Or buy the multi tool.

Torque Values:
    Compensator (Flash Suppressor) - 15 to 20 Ft. Lbs.

Barrel Nut - 30 Ft. lbs. Minimum, not to exceed 80 Ft. Lbs. to align the next slot in the barrel nut.

Carrier Key Screws - 35 INCH pounds to 40 INCH pounds.

Lower Receiver Extension (Buffer Tube)
    Rifle - 35 to 39 Ft. Lbs.
    Carbine - Tighten the locking nut to 40 INCH pounds plus or minus 2 INCH pounds.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Your best option is a Hammerhead rifle tool. If you use a wrench (unless it is thin walled) you will damage the crush washer.

As for the torque you need to read the instructions for whatever Surefire recommends. I believe that they use shims and you will need to make sure to clean the threads to apply the Rocksett.
    Just curious because I've only ever removed comp's to install new ones which came with new washers... How would a wrench damage the crush washer?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post

Yea and that's a royal PITA, the shims are marked with various colors that rub off while handling.

OP, if you end up doing it yourself, acetone is a great cleaner for the threads. Test fit using the chamfered washer + shims before applying rocksett. SFs timing wheel chart can make your guesses educated in terms of what shims to use.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    How would a wrench damage the crush washer?
    You notice he said "thin walled" right? A too thick wrench will engage the flats and be too wide for the flats...which damages the crush washer.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    A standard open end wrench is too thick and as you torque it down it presses against the crush washer.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaspipes View Post

Torque Values:
    Compensator (Flash Suppressor) - 15 to 20 Ft. Lbs.

Barrel Nut - 30 Ft. lbs. Minimum, not to exceed 80 Ft. Lbs. to align the next slot in the barrel nut.

Carrier Key Screws - 35 INCH pounds to 40 INCH pounds.

Lower Receiver Extension (Buffer Tube)
    Rifle - 35 to 39 Ft. Lbs.
    Carbine - Tighten the locking nut to 40 INCH pounds plus or minus 2 INCH pounds.
    Carbine receiver extension should be torqued to 40 FOOT pounds, not 40 INCH pounds. The confusion comes from a typo in the 23 & P that went uncorrected for years and transfered into a lot of other documents.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast