Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Well I did it

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Well I did it

Finally gave in and I am picking up a used G17 Gen 2 tomorrow morning. Despite being a huge 1911 fan for years (still am) I decided since Glocks are not going anywhere I may as well get familiar with them.

It's not that I didn't like them. It seems to be a very well thought out platform but I never liked the feel. I suppose with practice I can get used to that.

This pistol is bone stock from what I understand. Is there anything I should look at upgrading? What should I look for when inspecting this gun? Meaning, is there anything specific for a Glock I should be looking at? I plan to at least out new sights on; are all Glock sights cut the same from generation to generation?

I'm excited to get out to the range with this and really shake it out. I appreciate any help. Thanks

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Cool

Be patient with it. A lot of folks coming off another platform to glock pistols make wild claims about the gun's accuracy being poor. 99% of the time, it's the shooter. The gen 2 pistols from glock are some of my favorite, personally. Start by doing a safety check of the weapon then proceed to shoot. Get some time on it and see what needs changed. A lot of folks happily run glock pistols is stock form. Sights are a must (IMHO) and stippling is a nice added touch.
    Last edited by lethal dose; 01-10-13 at 06:30.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    WHAT I DID.
    When I changed over from my 1911's to a G21, for over two weeks solid, I dry fired the absolute hell out of it. Had it in my hand at every chance, and completly left the 1911's alone. I also practiced my draw a lot. My first range trip was awesome, several hundred rounds that day. And you know what? All a sudden, everything "clicked". The gun suddenly fit my hand, my draw times were getting faster, and I really started liking the thing. After a short time, when I got to where I was competent/confident with the gun, the 1911's went bye bye. Ive never looked back. That was 2006 and Ive owned a few since, and while I still love a well made 1911, I think glocks are the best defense pistols out there for me.
    Oh, put some AMERIGLO CAP sights on that gun ASAP...youll love them.
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 01-10-13 at 06:43.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Gen 2's are pretty highly regarded. All of the generations feature the same sight cuts AFAIK, almost positive 2-4 are the same. New sites are usually the highest priority. As was stated, many people love their Glocks with nothing else, but many others prefer grip modifications. Stippling is popular, as is grip reductions, trigger undercuts, and the like. Personally, I struggled getting comfortable with the grip so I bought a Grip Force Adaptor before touching the frame at all and couldn't be more pleased. A decent amount of people also drop the trigger pull weight to 3.5 pounds, but give the stock setup a shot first, as always.

Oh, and, I had to let Glocks grow on me. I've always loved the 1911 as well (had no experience with either when buying my first handgun though) and definitely feel that way abouty Colt. I've only done a few minor upgrades but can't wait to do more as it was intended to be a project gun. And though I had every intention of using it as a CCW when I bought it, I have it a shot once, but never returned to it over my G19. Can't really say why as I shoot my 1911 a little better and don't usually consider the differences to be a huge win for the Glock, but I still always choose the latter.
    Last edited by Wake27; 01-10-13 at 07:41.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Great posts guys, thanks.

I'm already thinking about stipling. I like the feel of the Gen 2s best, without finger grooves. Although, I like the reduced grip of the Gen 4 (they are smaller correct?) if so then I will eventually send it off for a grip reduction.

Honestly, when I first shot a glock I hated it. Not because of supposedly poor accuracy but because of the funky feel. But as stated above, they're here for a while so I need to get familiar with them

Wake, you mentioned the trigger pull weight. Is there a kit out there, like Apex's M&P AEK, for the glock or is that something for an armored to do?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tostado22 View Post
    ...Is there anything I should look at upgrading?...
    Let me put it into a bumpersticker for ya-

Ammo Before Accessories. Shoot Before Upgrading
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Well that's a given and I still have plenty of 9mm left over from when I owned a M&P9

ETA: Did the Gen 2s ever suffer from the problem that came with early Gen 4s that I've read about? That's one reason I asked about upgrades. Making sure there wasn't something I had missed. I've heard Gen 2s are some of the best as Lethal and Wake mentioned, which is why I held out for one vs a 3/4.
    Last edited by tostado22; 01-10-13 at 08:07.

Feedback Score
    Finally gave in and I am picking up a used G17 Gen 2 tomorrow morning. Despite being a huge 1911 fan for years (still am) I decided since Glocks are not going anywhere I may as well get familiar with them.

It's not that I didn't like them. It seems to be a very well thought out platform but I never liked the feel. I suppose with practice I can get used to that.

This pistol is bone stock from what I understand. Is there anything I should look at upgrading? What should I look for when inspecting this gun? Meaning, is there anything specific for a Glock I should be looking at? I plan to at least out new sights on; are all Glock sights cut the same from generation to generation?

I'm excited to get out to the range with this and really shake it out. I appreciate any help. Thanks
    I'd recommend a grip force adapter beavertail. Only about $25 and will give you a bit more of the feel you are used to in terms of the angle and high grip of the 1911
    Dr. Layne Norton

PhD Nutritional Sciences

www.biolayne.com

Handgun enthusiast

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Great posts guys, thanks.

I'm already thinking about stipling. I like the feel of the Gen 2s best, without finger grooves. Although, I like the reduced grip of the Gen 4 (they are smaller correct?) if so then I will eventually send it off for a grip reduction.

Honestly, when I first shot a glock I hated it. Not because of supposedly poor accuracy but because of the funky feel. But as stated above, they're here for a while so I need to get familiar with them

Wake, you mentioned the trigger pull weight. Is there a kit out there, like Apex's M&P AEK, for the glock or is that something for an armored to do?
    It's not a kit, just a trigger connector bar. They run under $25 and are really easy to install. And no, the gen 2s didn't have any of the eratic ejection problems.
    Last edited by Wake27; 01-10-13 at 08:59.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If the serial number starts with 2 letters you may have an early model
    that could need the 6 part update. Post the letter prefix of the serial # and I'll look
    up the production date of your gun. Pre Oct 91 guns need this update.
    Glock 19 Gen 5
    Colt Combat Commander

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast