Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Single stack 9mm's - CCW only?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Single stack 9mm's - CCW only?

What is everyones thought on this? Would you feel "underpowered" with 8+1 rounds of 9mm in your go to gun? I know people use 1911's as their goto guns which are running single stack mags but most people give it the pass just because it's a 45......... and it's the 1911.

So should a single stack 9mm be solely for CCW use or do you think it's sufficient for an all purpose, defensive handgun? I definitely prefer the way a single stack handgun handles over a double stack but I'm questioning whether or not it'll be a handicap in a fantasy gunfight situation. Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have no issues packing a six shot revolver.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I wouldn't feel "undergunned", but to me a 17 round double stack semi auto carries about the same as a single stack and fits my mitts better.

Feedback Score
    I also frequently pack a wheel gun or a single stack 9 (which is what the majority of forces in ww2 carried)
    And feel fine with that.
    I like to tell especially non shooters pistols are like golf clubs you need different "clubs" for different situations one does not do everything

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAVDOC View Post
    I also frequently pack a wheel gun or a single stack 9 (which is what the majority of forces in ww2 carried)
    And feel fine with that.
    I like to tell especially non shooters pistols are like golf clubs you need different "clubs" for different situations one does not do everything

Right. I understand a revolver or single stack is fine (if not preferred) for CCW, but what I'm asking is do you guys think it's still sufficient for an all around go to gun?

Basically, would you go to war with a single stack 9mm for your sidearm or do you feel it's absolutely necessary for a double stack magazine in a sidearm, duty, etc role?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by djmorris View Post
    Right. I understand a revolver or single stack is fine (if not preferred) for CCW, but what I'm asking is do you guys think it's still sufficient for an all around go to gun?

Basically, would you go to war with a single stack 9mm for your sidearm or do you feel it's absolutely necessary for a double stack magazine in a sidearm, duty, etc role?

I don't think it matters what "we" think, This is a desision that only YOU can make, You are going to be carrying it, using it, not me or anyone else on this board. If you think it's GTG then by all means, use it. Practice your reloads, and carry some extra mags. It's impossible for anyone on this board to suggest what one's comfort level with any handgun should or should not be..That's something only you can answer for yourself.
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    I don't think it matters what "we" think, This is a desision that only YOU can make, You are going to be carrying it, using it, not me or anyone else on this board. If you think it's GTG then by all means, use it. Practice your reloads, and carry some extra mags. It's impossible for anyone on this board to suggest what one's comfort level with any handgun should or should not be..That's something only you can answer for yourself.
    I never suggested that I would base a decision solely on the members of M4Carbine. That being said, this is an internet forum where members discuss such things and give opinions on different firearm related subjects. This is not really any different than the multitude of other threads. I wonder if you go into every single post/thread on this forum and say "It does not matter what people on this board think" ... ?

I was looking for perhaps some discussion on it and why you may would or would not be comfortable with it. I'm sorry you think that's not worthwhile.
    Last edited by djmorris; 12-16-12 at 11:02.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Geographics can play a role also. I have carried a revolver frequently, a pair of K frames,live an extremely low crime area in a rural area.
    I do,however,know that when you really need a pistol for defense,you're likely to need a lot of rounds,so I violated my own rule. If you look at all the shootings that have occcured just this week alone,and in some unlikely places as far as crime statistics are concerned,it is obvious that many rounds may be needed.
    Moving and shooting is more dificult than standing still and shooting at paper with a perfect sight picture,and shooting under the stress of a fight will also lower your hit percentage.
    I think that if you can carry a hi capacity handgun,then you should whenever possible. I will be following my own advice.Things aren't going to get any better. 15 rounds can disappear in a hurry.
    Last edited by DocH; 12-16-12 at 11:04.
    A fine is a tax for doing wrong.A tax is a fine for doing well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I never suggested that I would base a decision solely on the members of M4Carbine. That being said, this is an internet forum where members discuss such things and give opinions on different firearm related subjects. This is not really any different than the multitude of other threads. I wonder if you go into every single post/thread on this forum and say "It does not matter what people on this board think" ... ?

I was looking for perhaps some discussion on it and why you may would or would not be comfortable with it. I'm sorry you think that's not worthwhile.
    I never said it's not worthy of discussion.. Nor did I ever say you'd base such a decision on popular opinion here.But, I'd remind you that YOU posted the question, and the way you posted seemed to suggest you were fishing for answers,in the event of your fantasy gunfight... and I think my reply was correct..Carrying any pistol is a personal choice, and only one you can make..No matter how much discussion there is, pro/con it all comes back to the same thing.. It's still a choice that only you can make.If you're comfortable with a single stack, then as I said practice your reloads and carry extra mags..How hard is that?
    Last edited by ralph; 12-16-12 at 12:17.
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Feedback Score
    What is everyones thought on this? Would you feel "underpowered" with 8+1 rounds of 9mm in your go to gun? I know people use 1911's as their goto guns which are running single stack mags but most people give it the pass just because it's a 45......... and it's the 1911.

So should a single stack 9mm be solely for CCW use or do you think it's sufficient for an all purpose, defensive handgun? I definitely prefer the way a single stack handgun handles over a double stack but I'm questioning whether or not it'll be a handicap in a fantasy gunfight situation. Thoughts?
    I carried a single stack 9mm off duty for years and I did not feel outgunned. It was a little easier to conceal than a double stack pistol and extra magazines were a lot easier to conceal. The pistol was worn to the point of being unreliable and discontinued by the manufacturer, so I carry something different now.

I may be a little old school, but I firmly believe that 8 rounds is a lot of ammunition if I do my job. I also believe that 15-17 rounds is not enough if I do not.
    Last edited by 7 RING; 12-16-12 at 12:20.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast