Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help on how to equip my two little black friends

Feedback Score

Help on how to equip my two little black friends

Hi guys!

I need some constructive advice from the senior mentors on this site. The people on this site helped me on my first build over the past few years. Once again, thank you for helping me put together a great weapon!

Given the climate of late, I may have picked up a Colt LE6920 just before they dried up.

Here is my quandary. I would like to set one of the two up for close to mid range shooting and the other for longer range shooting. I’d like to know your thoughts on which one to equip for which task.

Here is what we have at this point:

1.) Daniel Defense lower from G&R Tactical sporting a Bravo Company carbine, mid length gas - 16” barrel (chrome lined - 1:7 twist) upper. Sporting a Aimpoint T-1 with 3X multiplier.

2.) Colt LE6920MPG – Carbine (chrome lined – 1:7 twist) – Totally stock other than a BCM Medium Charging handle.

My gut thoughts are use the Colt for close range by swapping the Aimpoint over to this one and buy a scope (and bi-pod) for the DD & BCM build. What are your thoughts?

Suggestions for a Bi-Pod & Scope?

Thank you in advance for your time!

Best regards,

Big Willy

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    No bipod. Not the right kind of rifles for that.

Put an Aimpoint T-1 on one and an ACOG TA44 or 45 on the other.

Have fun.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Have you look at the 1-4x options out there?
    Very versatile.

I'd skip the bi-pod.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Anybody that owns or sells pistol versions of assault rifles is a bottom feeder, irregardless of the ban status of certain ammunition.

They are illigetimate weapons that have no real purpose other than to attract retards to the gun community.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Willy View Post
    Hi guys!

I need some constructive advice from the senior mentors on this site. The people on this site helped me on my first build over the past few years. Once again, thank you for helping me put together a great weapon!

Given the climate of late, I may have picked up a Colt LE6920 just before they dried up.

Here is my quandary. I would like to set one of the two up for close to mid range shooting and the other for longer range shooting. I’d like to know your thoughts on which one to equip for which task.

Here is what we have at this point:

1.) Daniel Defense lower from G&R Tactical sporting a Bravo Company carbine, mid length gas - 16” barrel (chrome lined - 1:7 twist) upper. Sporting a Aimpoint T-1 with 3X multiplier.

2.) Colt LE6920MPG – Carbine (chrome lined – 1:7 twist) – Totally stock other than a BCM Medium Charging handle.

My gut thoughts are use the Colt for close range by swapping the Aimpoint over to this one and buy a scope (and bi-pod) for the DD & BCM build. What are your thoughts?

Suggestions for a Bi-Pod & Scope?

Thank you in advance for your time!

Best regards,

Big Willy
    I have been looking at either the Meopta ZD 1 -4 or Trijicon TR24 as options for my long range optic. I've heard good things about them. You might take a look at those two. I don't know that you need a bipod necessarily. You can be pretty rock solid in the prone if you rest the mag on the ground. Some folks may have issues with that, but I've never personally ran into an issue using it like a mono pod.

Just out of curiosity, does your T1 have the 2 moa or 4 moa dot?
    Last edited by Prairie Patriot; 01-16-13 at 18:02.
    The Prairie Patriot Blog
    Twitter - @P_Patriot1

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    On the right track with moving over the Aimpoint and running a low powered variable on the DD/BCM carbine, if indeed you do want a mid range optic on one.

Trijicon's TR24 is still the poor man's short dot, I really like my 24RT version of that on the taller SPR1.93 mount. Not for everybody though.

The Vortex 1-4x PST isn't bad for the price - if you're budget is restrictive, and daytime illumination isn't a huge deal, the Mil/mil version of this is decent for the money. The Meopta line used is a good option, but I don't have any personal experience with those.

Magazine monopod works pretty well, but if you do really want a range-specific bipod (for just square range use) no reason to feel too bad about running a cheap sprawl mart sourced bipod. Won't be as rewarding, usually requires you take the whole thing apart and reassemble it with blue loctite just to make them decent enough to load weight against properly, but at $35, at least when I got my one of those, it's not a terrible investment. I'd still recommend practicing shooting it mag monopod style as well, since your everyday configuration on that rifle should still be sans bipod - a fairly lightweight 16" carbine with a 1-4x optic is still a great HD carbine, and obviously the tool of choice out to 300yd. Bipods on that type of rifle just add too much weight to really be worth it.
    Another option if you still are super old school about how you run a VFG would be the GripPod - they're decent (when they're an issued item, and thus basically free), but IMO there are only so many niches where those make sense, and this isn't really one of them.
    Last edited by TehLlama; 01-16-13 at 18:20.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    [QUOTE=Amicus;1508472]No bipod. Not the right kind of rifles for that.

Second

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by polymorpheous View Post
    Have you look at the 1-4x options out there?
    Very versatile.

I'd skip the bi-pod.
    I'm with him. I would look into either the Leupold or Trijicon offerings for 1-4x options. I would leave the Colt with the T1 and put a 1-4x on the BCM. You can do a bipod but depending on what distances you plan to shoot, it may be unnecessary.
    Not sure about you guys, but I'm only here for the free food and open bar.

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P Armorer
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amicus View Post
    No bipod. Not the right kind of rifles for that.

Have fun.
    A third vote for this. Personally, I'd ditch the 3x multiplier. It's more of a swat toy than it is practical IMHO. It adds weight, and is really unnecessary if you are going to split your two rifles into CQB and medium range "DM" style.

Get a good 1-4 scope or an ACOG and call it a day. Oh yeah, and no bipod.
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Feedback Score

Thank you for your input!!!!

Thanks Guys!

Your input is greatly valued and appreciated!

So I should:

1.) Move the T-1 Aimpoint - 4MOA (with the 3X Aim Point Multiplier) and Larue mounts to the Stock Colt LE6920MPG

2.) Get a 1-4 scope for the Daniel Defense lower – BCM upper 16” Mid length Gas with a DD Omega Hand Guard.

I’m getting older and the eyes are not what they once were. I’m right handed and left eye dominate. That being said, is one of the suggested optics better than the other for a genetic misfit like me?

Thank you once again for your time and input!

Best regards,

Big Willy
    Last edited by Big Willy; 01-16-13 at 19:11.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    A lot of folks with poor eyesight, especially astigmatism, tell me that the TR24T units are among the most forgiving at some distances, not sure if it's the enormous bright triangle, or simplicity of the reticle (and easy to use focus ring on the back), so that might be part of the decision - that said try and get behind one before you commit to such an investment.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast