Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can a 22LR conversion cause damage to an 223 AR?

Feedback Score

Can a 22LR conversion cause damage to an 223 AR?

I'm considering a temporary 22LR conversion on one of my ARs until the panic buying bullshit stops and 223 ammo prices normalize. I've researched and can find no ill mechanical affects a 22LR conversion can have on the barrel or internals other than getting it dirty. Yep, I'm aware 22 round are pretty dirty.

If I use the cleanest 22L ammo I can find (copper plated whatever), and make sure everything is cleaned properly after each use, is there anything I should be concerned about?

Feedback Score

Can a 22LR conversion cause damage to an 223 AR?

Lead fouling in the barrel. Clogging a gas tube, clogging the gas key. Get a dedicated .22 AR like the M&P 15-22.

Most .223 rounds are on the order of .224" Diameter...you are throwing a round down the barrel with an undersized round. It will have terrible accuracy. Generally conversions just don't play we'll, reliability is questionable.

Feedback Score

Re: Can a 22LR conversion cause damage to an 223 AR?

Eh, I've run them in 9 different AR's from a POF to a Del-ton and never had an issue.
    .22 conversions don't use your gas system, so they aren't going to clog anything.
    Accuracy is as good as 5.56 at 50 yrds and in. Its no competition accessory but you can't beat it for what it its.
    AR barrels are made to shoot heavier bullets at double the velocity of a .22.
    If a .22 hurts your gun using a quarter of the powder and nearly half the bullet weight of a 5.56, you have a crappy gun.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by !Nvasi0n View Post
    Lead fouling in the barrel. Clogging a gas tube, clogging the gas key. Get a dedicated .22 AR like the M&P 15-22.

Most .223 rounds are on the order of .224" Diameter...you are throwing a round down the barrel with an undersized round. It will have terrible accuracy. Generally conversions just don't play we'll, reliability is questionable.
    You have anything that shows that clogging the gas key is a regular occurrence?

I don't see terrible accuracy. In training, you're shooting center of mass anyhow, and that generally equates to an 8 in circle. I commonly have groups 2-4 inches at 50 yards, which is pretty much the maximum distance you will use these for training anyhow. 22LR diameter is .222 compared to .224 for the centerfire bullets. Yes, the 22's are a bit undersized, but it's not like you won't be able to hit your targets. I regularly was able to make decent hits at 75-100 yards at center of mass sized targets.

I maintain 12 M261 conversion kits, and prior to using them for a training program shot close to 5000 rounds through a couple to find any issues. I then wrote an article in SWAT about it.

Never had a gas key clog, no adverse effects like lead fouling in my barrel. Only issue I had is after about 3000 rounds the trigger pull started to get gritty and didn't feel right, so it needed to get cleaned. Otherwise, the only other thing I really did was lube every 250-300 rounds and wipe the bolt down occasionally. I also would fire a few rounds to a magazine of 5.56 after every few hundred rounds of rimfire as part of the training. I cannot say if that had any effect on the gas tube.

Do these conversions have issues? Yes. I prefer the S&W M&P15/22 for a reason. There can be reliability issues, but they largely happen as a result of using bulk packed ammunition. When I used quality ammunition the conversions ran like sewing machines. Issues I largely saw were in the changes in manual of arms that the conversions generated.

Another issue that can occur are firing out of battery. Wear eye protection with these. Again, I feel these happened more often when I used lower quality ammunition.

Conversions are an option. They'll work for what you're intending to use them for, and they will save you money and allow you to shoot more for your dollar, even with the shortcomings.

Feedback Score
    Great info guys thanks. I'll keep my ARs as is and if I really want a 22LR on an AR platform, I'll go with the M&P 22 as you have suggested or use one of those Troy Tactical platforms with a Ruger 10/22.

Feedback Score
    This thread lays out the arguments I've heard, pro and con, on the conversions. BC520s habit of running some 5.56 thru' it routinely may have helped avoid the clogging issue.
    Unhappily, .22 uppers always remained pricey and the Smith 15-22 seemed like a much better alternative. Smith had to be making a ton of money on them, but they kept them priced a little cheaper than most conversions.
    I put my Ruger 10-22 in one of those M-1 carbine stocks and fitted a set of the MilTech aperture sights. Initially, I just cut the factory stock to A1 length with a miter saw, if you want to do it on the cheap, but the carbine stock makes a more finished job.
    It gives an A1 length of pull and the same sight picture as an AR; makes more sense to me than trying to turn the Ruger into a 'sorta' AR.
    Moon
    Holy shit! Just priced the Troy conversion...$329! I'm liking my carbine stock better all the time.
    M
    Last edited by halfmoonclip; 01-24-13 at 10:29.

Feedback Score
    just shoot it and clean it. Like others said, .22s arent going to hurt anything

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have been using a CMMG stainless .22LR conversion with CMMG and X-form magazines for over two years. Its for the kids to shoot so I gave them the cheapest at the time .22LR I could find which was Remington Thunderbolts a case of 5000rds.

Now we all know that Thunder-turds are some dirty .22LRs but it was all I could find at the time so it was better then not shooting at all.

Any way the kids have blown through about 3600rds so far and at 3000rds I did a detailed cleaning which included removing the bolt on gas block so I was able to examine the gas port, gas tube and gas block and while it was very dirty caked in .22LR fouling crud I failed to see any damage after cleaning.

As for leading I did see a tiny little half moon coating on the forward face of the gas port but it would not be enough to impede the flow of gas into the gas block.

So far my only suggestion would maybe be to move up my cleaning count to 1500rd and keep the dry lube handy but we will keep shooting with the conversion until there is a valid reason not to do so.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I got a 22conv. with simple reason of getting new toy, for my toy(they really are like barbies for men). Any excuse for more trigger time is a good one. As far as being a dirty shooter, yup. It will get you real familiar with every nook and crany, of your banger... Yet another good reason.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    As far as dedicated .22LR uppers go, I know I'll get no love for this one, but I would check out DPMS. Nordic Components makes at least the bolts for them and mine has fed everything I've put through it, including every kind of bulk pack ammo and even Aguila SSS without a single failure. Accurate and cheap too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast