Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can a 22LR conversion cause damage to an 223 AR?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Holy necro-post.

Glad we got that clarified...
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    Buddy of mine had a .22 kit in his 11.5 in upper. It wasn't very accurate, but not horrible. Good enough for 25 yd plinking but thats it.

We used all kinds of .22 in it. After about 1200 rnds IIRC a couple shooting trips later he came out to fire 5.56 with it.

It was a single shot. No cycling. He told me later he could not blow air through the gas tube. He removed it and the port and tube were plugged with lead.

He said he spent so much time cleaning it out he should have just replaced the tube.

Anyway the answer seems to be shoot copper plated .22 ammo and every few hundred rounds fire some 5.56 to blast the lead out...hold your breath it's not good for ya.

Feedback Score
    Howdy,

.22LR conversion kits suck!

I have 2 Ciener kits for my ARs and neither have had any issues with +25,000 rounds through each unit.

Only real complaint is the 1-9 twist barrels which is much too fast for a .22LR.

Back during Air Force boot camp we shot the M261 kits in old 'Nam era M-16s with 1-14 twist barrels and they would shoot nickle size groups at 25yds w/ 17yo eyeballs.

A few years ago I bought a new unfired 16" 'Nam era Commando barrel with 1-14" that will constantly hit a 6" swinger at 175yds with Federal Lightening ammo.

Every time I switch back to my .223 BCG I always spray plenty of GunScrubber down the gas tube and a brush through the barrel and a round with a chamber brush.

I was in the process of building a dedicated .22LR AR out of the Commando barrel and a Stag lower but I built a .300Blk on the lower instead.

Paul

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123