Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Marie

Feedback Score
    OK, right on dude, thanks for the reassurance from another anti-battery perspective.

Let me ask you this: what is the main purpose (besides the obvious, of course ^_^) of a weapon mounted light on your rifle? Where are you going and what are you doing with it to need a light? At this point in time, I'm not convinced I need a dedicated light when I can slap on the TLR-3 and have it if I need it especially if I'm running the ACOG as a primary optic. I have absolutely no business going into somebody else's dark room at this point in time, unlike some of you brave men with duty rifles.

I've been reading/studying about over-gassing and improved reliability, particularly from these two posts:

My brass is hitting the deflector on the upper pretty hard and has a vector trajectory at about 1:30. With the heavier BCG coming in later, I was thinking about definitely adding the SSS action spring (for longevity, if nothing else) with the Colt H2 heavy buffer. I'm thinking the H2 as opposed to the H3 or heavier to keep from going too heavy to be able to cycle cheap/underpowered ammo. IMO it may be a lot easier to re-zero for sorry ammunition than it would be to find (or carry around, esp. without losing) a lighter buffer.

Is this sound logic, especially as it pertains to H2 buffer being a middle ground to the preferential heavier buffers cited in the above articles in addition to a heavier BCG and stiffer spring? Best I can tell, I have the stock DPMS carbine buffer and action spring. An unknown origin is as good as the worst known origin, IMO.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My carbine is my go-to if someone were to break into my abode. There are various reasons why, including less over penetration than a pistol round and greater ammo capacity and less recoil than a shotgun. I am a much more confident in my abilities to handle and shoot accurately under stress with a rifle than either a pistol or shotgun. The weapon light is to aid in target identification in the dark. It is also painfully bright when shined in the eyes. Keeping the light mounted to the rifle means it's always there if I need it.

I have other flashlights and always keep one in my pocket and always keep one handy while at work. Lessons of life have taught me to always have a good flashlight and a good knife in my pocket and never wear shoes that don't offer good traction.

I plan to buy another light for the handgun, but that will have to wait a couple paychecks.

Before trying heavier buffers and springs, check out the solutions discussed in this thread-
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=118010

KD6IJG
    Last edited by MistWolf; 01-24-13 at 00:03.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Excellent discussion; this is digital gold.

Due to the modularity of the platform at large, I'm sold on the light. If I decide I don't want the extra weight I can just take it off and put it in a pouch until it's needed. The TLR-3 is on standby as an interim solution until I can get to a light dedicated to Marie.

The best thing I got from the "Over-gassed 11.5.. cut to 10.5 help at all??" thread was:
    Doctors say that

Gas Port Obsession (GPO) is a relative rare, but extremely potent sub-type of common Black Rifle Disease (BRD).

Affected patients are often unable to function normally, usually forgoing sleep and beer, until all carbines in the immediate vicinity are corrected.
    Just kidding ^_^

The thread had some really great ideas. Because I cannot trust that the action spring I have was built to spec in the first place, I'm going to double check the size of the gas port on the DD barrel and get a known good action spring. We'll take it from there whether we decide to go with an insert-able gas port or pair what I have with a heavier buffer or whatever...

With the understanding and acknowledgement that 750rpm (at regular pressures) does not equal 750rpm (of excessive pressures compensated by counter-weights), it really makes me wonder if she is actually over-gassed or if it's just under counter-weighted. The DPMS parts did come with the expectation that the rifle should eat everything from the most apologetic .223 Remington all the way to the most authoritative 5.56mm NATO. We all know that something which tries to do all things usually does all things half-ass, and I can easily imagine this translates to semi-automatic actions. Call me out as soon as possible where applicable.

Being a Daniel Defense barrel, I'm sure the gas port size is right, but it's 3 pins to slide the FSB forward far enough to check. Small potatoes.

This rifle is going to hum along like the London Symphony Orchestra before I'm--no, we're--done with it. >8)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123