Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Safe" or "Panic" room pictures and ideas.

Feedback Score

"Safe" or "Panic" room pictures and ideas.

I am building a new house that is focused around sustainability and living off of the grid. One of the main designs to be incorporated in the house is a safe room to be placed in the basement. All walls will be constructed of poured concrete with chicken wire placed inside of the concrete forms to prevent breaching. I have plenty of available space for the room. Ideally, it will be around 20x20.

I'm looking for pics of already constructed rooms or ideas from others that have been planning their own. The room will serve a double duty as my arms room and storage area for sensitive items and a supply of emergency rations to last a month or so until I can gain access to my stockpiled caches around the property...
    Mike
    RLTW!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Great question, I will be following your thread. I have an unfinished 16 x24 room on concrete slab floor next to my garage that I wanted to reinforce for storage, including gun safes and storage food & supplies.
    It will be heated and air conditioned but currently has conventional exterior walls.
    Since I am DIY, as a minimum I was going to skin the walls and ceiling with screwed-in 3/4 plywood. The Ceiling joices will need to be added to-- spaced closer & larger to carry the ceiling weight. Also replace door and door frame along with bars on the windows.

But , if you have the money, this is a possible idea to consider for finishing a basement:

Last edited by Ready.Fire.Aim; 01-20-13 at 08:25.
    "Jill, if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony ... take that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house,.." VP Joe Biden Feb 19, 2013

Feedback Score
    Unfortunately, money isn't unlimited like some people I've met on here! I am not forced to pinch pennies or cut corners but it must be reasonable. Especially since my wife is in charge of all executive decisions and she doesn't appreciate the need for a safe room like I do!
    Mike
    RLTW!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ready.Fire.Aim View Post
    Great question, I will be following your thread. I have an unfinished 16 x24 room on concrete slab floor next to my garage that I wanted to reinforce for storage, including gun safes and storage food & supplies.
    It will be heated and air conditioned but currently has conventional exterior walls.
    Since I am DIY, as a minimum I was going to skin the walls and ceiling with screwed-in 3/4 plywood. The Ceiling joices will need to be added to-- spaced closer & larger to carry the ceiling weight. Also replace door and door frame along with bars on the windows.

But , if you have the money, this is a possible idea to consider for finishing a basement:

nice....

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I think it is a good idea as either a walk in safe or panic room. A good steel door with a digital combo is nice as well (so you don't have to look for keys to get in).

If possible, put the room under the front or back porch slab (so that someone couldn't cut their way in through the ceiling.

C4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RamadiDoorkicker View Post
    I am building a new house that is focused around sustainability and living off of the grid. One of the main designs to be incorporated in the house is a safe room to be placed in the basement.
    Check your pm's
    Last edited by Dave L.; 01-20-13 at 09:00.
    Keep your faith in God, but keep your powder dry. (Oliver Cromwell)

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    Check your pm's
    Any way you'd CC me with your suggestions?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by alienb1212 View Post
    Any way you'd CC me with your suggestions?
    Check your PM's too...

Feedback Score
    We just built a two years ago. I had them put in block walls, filled with rebar and concrete. The ceiling is a quarter inch thick steel plate,with six inches of concrete on top. I had a custom safe door made in northern Ohio. I will send you some pics via im.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    A good steel door with a digital combo is nice as well (so you don't have to look for keys to get in).
    Digital is nice if available, but keys are way faster than a dial.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by buyforce View Post
    We just built a two years ago. I had them put in block walls, filled with rebar and concrete. The ceiling is a quarter inch thick steel plate,with six inches of concrete on top. I had a custom safe door made in northern Ohio. I will send you some pics via im.

You got any more details on this? Moving back to Ohio when I get separated from military this year, and was looking into this. I've heard of someone local doing vault doors/safes but have been vague on the details.

Feedback Score
    Very interesting and timely discussion as my wife and I are in the preliminary stages of designing our next house and one of her requirements was a "safe room" / storm shelter in the basement designed exactly as described here.

I'm lucky. What can I say?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Construction standards

Check the construction standards in Ch4 for SCIFs. Not a bad place to start for a safe room based on likely attack vectors for a home that's been invaded by reasonably unprepared BGs who are limited to what they brought with them or what you leave sitting around that they can adapt to an attack on your safe room.
    They don't meet storm standards if you're in tornado alley. There are code sections elsewhere for those.

http://www.fas.org/irp/offdocs/dcid6-9.pdf

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    With existing construction it is harder to properly reinforced a room with portable materials. I had three different contractors submit plans for a 360 degree armorer safe room and estimates were from $24,000 to $32,000 for a small 12x14 room. Most of the materials purposed used 0.5"in steel plate and 1"inch concrete board with a serious multi point locking steel plate door.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 01-20-13 at 17:03.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    I plan to use a few 4' cylinders to open a sliding door with a biometric scanner (if I can find one resonable) or a fingerprint scanner. If nothing else, it will put a huge smile on my face every time I open it!
    Mike
    RLTW!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaJJackson View Post
    You got any more details on this? Moving back to Ohio when I get separated from military this year, and was looking into this. I've heard of someone local doing vault doors/safes but have been vague on the details.
    Yes sir, I will get a name and number when I get home. They were great to deal with. Contractor built the opening to wide for the door. I called the door maker and they custom built a door for the new dimensions. Lucky for me, I got a larger door at the contractors expense.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've thought hard about this too. Cheapest is to design this into a new home build most likely.
    "Those who do can't explain; those who don't can't understand"...

"The real problem this country faces is not that we have the king of fools as President, it's that we have so many fools who made him their king..."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaJJackson View Post
    I used Smith's Security Safes, out of Tontogany Ohio. smithsecuritysafes.com
    They were great to work with. The only problem I had was getting enough guys to help me set the door.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I am a licensed structural engineer in multiple states. If anyone needs safe room advice, please PM. I have designed structures from tornado shelters to federal courthouses (including blast/progressive collapse analysis).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by buyforce View Post
    I used Smith's Security Safes, out of Tontogany Ohio. smithsecuritysafes.com
    They were great to work with. The only problem I had was getting enough guys to help me set the door.
    Awesome thanks for the heads up I appreciate it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast