Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: American Survival Guide is back!

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)

American Survival Guide is back!

I just got a copy of the new ASG magazine. It is like the old version from the'80s and'90s with some changes. It has a lot of ads in it but it is the first copy. It has some very good articles and they got some legitimate survival people to write for them.

It is worth the money. I found it at Walmart.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    Cool, I was hesitant to pick it up. looked interesting but I did not have time to flip through and check it out.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Who are the legitimate survival people writing for the magazine?
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    Who are the legitimate survival people writing for the magazine?
    Cody Lundin and Les Stroud.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Wow, really? That's pretty slick.

I'll have to buy my old man a subscription, that was one of his favorites.

Edit to add: do you know who the publisher is?

On another board there are two guys who use to write for them back in the day. According to them when the original owner died his daughter took over the magazine and geard towards a "family camping magazine" and would not allow any pictures on the cover of firearms any longer or firearm related articles. They said that is what killed them as 80% of their sells were news stand so no guns no purchases.
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 08-08-12 at 21:15.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I didn't think it was anything like the old ASG....I've got a bunch of old issues saved in pdf form on my external hard drive, so I went and looked at them too. Still not seeing it...

It's not bad, per se (the new version), but it really struck me as more of a yuppie-backpacker-soccer mom target audience. That's too bad, cause while I can take or leave Stroud, IMO Lundin is the best thing going for the general public on learning basic primitive living-type survival skills, and his books are humorous, readable introductions to the subject.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    I have about 8 years worth of magazines from the'80s and early'90s. It is different but still good.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpuncher View Post
    I didn't think it was anything like the old ASG....I've got a bunch of old issues saved in pdf form on my external hard drive, so I went and looked at them too. Still not seeing it...

It's not bad, per se (the new version), but it really struck me as more of a yuppie-backpacker-soccer mom target audience. That's too bad, cause while I can take or leave Stroud, IMO Lundin is the best thing going for the general public on learning basic primitive living-type survival skills, and his books are humorous, readable introductions to the subject.
    Any chance of sharing?
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    I can't believe i missed that. Share please.

Feedback Score
    I used to have a subscription to American Survival Guide. The first few years they were a great magazine, but when the owner died, his wife made it a lot more politically correct and that is what did them in. I also remember that everyone that had a subscription to ASG when it went bust was given a subscription to another good magazine instead, I think it was American woodsman or something. I think the earlier issues were the best magazine I ever had, but know telling how much it cost me in having to go out and buy the newest gizmo that came out.
    Last edited by Robryan; 08-11-12 at 23:09.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast