Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Safe" or "Panic" room pictures and ideas.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RamadiDoorkicker View Post
    I am building a new house that is focused around sustainability and living off of the grid. One of the main designs to be incorporated in the house is a safe room to be placed in the basement. All walls will be constructed of poured concrete with chicken wire placed inside of the concrete forms to prevent breaching. I have plenty of available space for the room. Ideally, it will be around 20x20.

I'm looking for pics of already constructed rooms or ideas from others that have been planning their own. The room will serve a double duty as my arms room and storage area for sensitive items and a supply of emergency rations to last a month or so until I can gain access to my stockpiled caches around the property...
    My understanding is using Rebar with the concrete adds minimal additional costs but greatly increases strength of the walls. I added Rebar to my new basement by recommendation of the contractor due to height of the walls (taller than normal) and type of soil, etc.

I believe reinforced buildings designed/expected to deal with additional stresses, have added Rebar.

Worth checking on for sure, not an expert on that topic, but if I was going through the effort to have poured concrete for such a project, I'd likely add the Rebar to it unless otherwise instructed by a trusted source.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Tagging for future reference. Looking to do the same in Ohio as soon as we can get one of our houses sold to get the ball rolling.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I suggest you check out joelskousen.com and his secure home articles and books. He has a separate text devoted specifically to building a high security shelter within an existing structure. Not saying it's the be all and end all, but these books contain a lot of good information and ideas.

I can't link fron this device but Skousen's books are also available on Amazon. The one I referred to above is titled "How to Implement a High Security Shelter in the Home."

Border Rat that returned to Indian Territory.
    Feedback Score
    Look into an ICF (Insulated Concrete Form) home. They can completely make your home into a safe home. Also, they are not much more than traditional construction. There are lots of info and plans on them. We are looking to build one soon, in tornado alley NE OK area.
    Last edited by arbninftry; 01-20-13 at 19:47.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RamadiDoorkicker View Post
    a supply of emergency rations to last a month or so until I can gain access to my stockpiled caches around the property...
    This sounds like you may concerned of people on the property. How would you power your safe room so they can't disable your power from outside? A month is a long time with people upstairs wanting to get in.

Feedback Score
    If I might suggest a different approach:

Stealth and camouflage.

They can't bust in if they don't know that its there. Sure still build it out of block, re-bar, steel, etc. but spend a little coin camouflaging it! I like the thought of a room underneath the porch or garage or what ever and then walled off after the majority of construction is done so it doesn't look like your trying to build a bunker in your home.

Just my two cents.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    Check your pm's
    Wouldn't mind if I could get it too )

Quote Originally Posted by rdbse View Post
    I am a licensed structural engineer in multiple states. If anyone needs safe room advice, please PM. I have designed structures from tornado shelters to federal courthouses (including blast/progressive collapse analysis).
    Can you show us anything you have done? I would love to see something.

Quote Originally Posted by RiggerGod View Post

Stealth and camouflage.

Just my two cents.
    I agree with you. I would rather make it camouflage instead of " HEY RIGHT HERE!"

One of my ideas would be by making a secret entrance probably through my walk in closet (possible) that would allow me to gain a quicker access to the safe room but of course the area would not be obviously visible under the house. But the question is: How you gonna run it for a month like others said? what's the backup, remember necessities also, it has to have toilet, showers, to make it the best you can.

NOW, the most important thing that I would like to say here is, who would you trust to build your house for you. I been looking for a long time a company that can be trusted and what I noticed and read about all this companies who can "build the house of your dreams" is that they promise something and then the take off, ripping you entirely, so it would be nice if we could put here, reliable companies.
    Everybody wanna be like mike!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelowrey View Post
    Wouldn't mind if I could get it too )
    Check your PM's.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RiggerGod View Post

Stealth and camouflage.

They can't bust in if they don't know that its there. Sure still build it out of block, re-bar, steel, etc. but spend a little coin camouflaging it! I like the thought of a room underneath the porch or garage or what ever and then walled off after the majority of construction is done so it doesn't look like your trying to build a bunker in your home.

Just my two cents.
    It worked for Batman.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    My understanding is using Rebar with the concrete adds minimal additional costs but greatly increases strength of the walls. I added Rebar to my new basement by recommendation of the contractor due to height of the walls (taller than normal) and type of soil, etc.

I believe reinforced buildings designed/expected to deal with additional stresses, have added Rebar.

Worth checking on for sure, not an expert on that topic, but if I was going through the effort to have poured concrete for such a project, I'd likely add the Rebar to it unless otherwise instructed by a trusted source.
    Using rebar is standard practice when building with concrete. While it does increase load compacity of walls and floors, it doesn't add much in regards to a security factor.
    ABOVE THE REST_____________________CURRAHEE
    1/327th INF 101st ABN_______________1/506th INF, 101st ABN
    OIF 1 2003/2004._____________________OIF 3 2005/2006

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast