Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: "Safe" or "Panic" room pictures and ideas.

Feedback Score
    The number one reason that I am not going to hide the room is the fact that I want to be able to utilize and enjoy it on a daily basis prior to it being used in an emergency. I am sacrificing safety for practicality but doubt any roaming threat would be able to breach it.

As for power: I will have a separate 240v main coming from the power lines and running into the house from a separate location that the main house power. Also, since the entire house utilizes solar and hydro-energy, I will ultimately have a grid free power system. Considering housing the battery banks for the solar panels that run the house in the panic room so that I will have access to months worth of energy.
    ABOVE THE REST_____________________CURRAHEE
    1/327th INF 101st ABN_______________1/506th INF, 101st ABN
    OIF 1 2003/2004._____________________OIF 3 2005/2006

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RamadiDoorkicker View Post
    Using rebar is standard practice when building with concrete. While it does increase load compacity of walls and floors, it doesn't add much in regards to a security factor.
    Thanx for the intel.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    I think it is a good idea as either a walk in safe or panic room. A good steel door with a digital combo is nice as well (so you don't have to look for keys to get in).

If possible, put the room under the front or back porch slab (so that someone couldn't cut their way in through the ceiling.

C4
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    Digital is nice if available, but keys are way faster than a dial.

I plan to use a few 4' cylinders to open a sliding door with a biometric scanner (if I can find one resonable) or a fingerprint scanner. If nothing else, it will put a huge smile on my face every time I open it!
    I utilize a biometric lock in my shop for access to restricted areas and it works out nicely. one this is scan time on the lock make sure to research and get one that scans quicker rather than slower. (Mine takes about 1.5-2 seconds to register the print and unlock.)

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Using rebar is standard practice when building with concrete. While it does increase load compacity of walls and floors, it doesn't add much in regards to a security factor.
    If you believe this and think "chicken wire" is good idea, you have no clue what you are talking about.

Rebar does indeed add security and strength to concrete. It is especially important for impact and blast resistance. Rebar detailing and placement are critical as well. Unreinforced concrete is adequate in certain applications, but I would not recommend for a safe room.
    Last edited by rdbse; 01-21-13 at 12:59.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Some here may have grandiose fantasies that they can build a bunker to out last a hostile mob during a time of great distress, while concealment and OPSEC may help the determined hostile searching your home will most likely discover your safe room unless professional installation costing hugh dollars are spent to disguise the entrance.

A safe room is not intended to be a long term solution for survival by any means. Trapping yourself inside is only a death sentence if discovered by a hostile hoard as they will either burn you out (Just light the existing structure if built into a home) or find your air supply vents and use C02 from a vehicle or gas down the vent.

Now safe rooms are great to protect your family short term from the common crook in a non SHTF event while you wait until the police arrive or to be used as a vault room for valuables but sustainable living inside a safe room is both impractical and a tactical liability .

The wise course of action is to bug out as soon as a creditable threat is discovered to a area outside the hot zone.

Safe rooms AKA bunkers are nothing more then Tombs once discovered. I have a safe room but understand its limitations and vulnerabilities.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PA PATRIOT View Post
    Some here may have grandiose fantasies that they can build a bunker to out last a hostile mob during a time of great distress, while concealment and OPSEC may help the determined hostile searching your home will most likely discover your safe room unless professional installation costing hugh dollars are spent to disguise the entrance.

A safe room is not intended to be a long term solution for survival by any means. Trapping yourself inside is only a death sentence if discovered by a hostile hoard as they will either burn you out (Just light the existing structure if built into a home) or find your air supply vents and use C02 from a vehicle or gas down the vent.

Now safe rooms are great to protect your family short term from the common crook in a non SHTF event while you wait until the police arrive or to be used as a vault room for valuables but sustainable living inside a safe room is both impractical and a tactical liability .

The wise course of action is to bug out as soon as a creditable threat is discovered to a area outside the hot zone.

Safe rooms AKA bunkers are nothing more then Tombs once discovered. I have a safe room but understand its limitations and vulnerabilities.

Would have to agree if your design or structure only allows a one way in out of said room. Then again, that is more of a vault (tomb with a locking door) vs a SAFE room. If practical have a hidden secondary exit with air supply that channels out and away from said structure. (Easier to do with below ground level bunker style safe rooms.)
    Last edited by tnt1106; 01-21-13 at 14:39. Reason: added a few letters to make more sense.

Feedback Score
    This is more of a generalized safe room, for storm protection, but it is much stronger than a standard room, and with a little modification, would be passable as a short term hide out. Tough to breach in a hurry, but not fool proof. Also, very DIY friendly.

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TFH..._STORMS_01.pdf

Feedback Score
    Wouldn't you want a back door to get out? I imagine the cops not coming for 3 days and waiting the bad guys out for 2 weeks while you are locked in the safe room.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    Wouldn't you want a back door to get out?
    There's all kinds of improvements anyone building one of these would want. Just wait until you actually do it and realize how far your budget will get you. Here's a hint: not as far as you think.

Why would you get in it if you thought "bad guys" would camp out for 2 weeks in your house? I would rather focus on not letting anyone on my property first and getting in to my house second.
    Last edited by Dave L.; 01-25-13 at 06:15.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    Wouldn't you want a back door to get out? I imagine the cops not coming for 3 days and waiting the bad guys out for 2 weeks while you are locked in the safe room.
    It all comes down to money and expected use. If you look at the diagram I linked to earlier, you can see that a room of that type, or any really, can be modified in as many ways as you can think up. In my opinion, a safe room is really a last resort. You are in the home, something totally unexpected happens like ninjas crash through your living room window or a flash mob busts through your door. You jet into the safe room and slam it shut. Ten minutes later after the ninjas steal your spam, you're done.

Joking aside, a safe room is really a short term protection, this is not some fall out bunker buried under the back lawn. If your safe room turns into a long term survival shelter, you either planned wrong or something way out of left field has happened. Just like every other piece of equipment, it has a specific purpose.
    Last edited by Awesome1228; 01-25-13 at 11:01. Reason: spelling

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast