Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question on Remington 700 Light Primer Strike

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AR15barrels View Post
    Do you think that tightening the 700 barrel a little more or less than Remington does will actually change headspace enough to cause light strikes?
    I have rebarreled a bunch of 700's as well as removed and installed factory barrels.
    I have not found this to be the case.
    I have the gauges in 0.001" steps too so I'm not talking out of my backside...

Or do you suppose someone "upgraded"their recoil lug while the barrel was out?
    Come on man... OBVIOUSLY that is not what I was suggesting. As you later posted, recoil lug, or a piece of shop rag, or some machine chips, or who knows what the **** can get in there and cause all kinds of problems. I've seen all manner of would-be-gunsmiths **** up simple operations in ways you wouldn't think possible.

Now having been revealed that its an 18yr old rifle that wasn't shot FOREVER... I am leaning very heavily toward firing pin spring being weak.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    Got these 2 orders in & hopefully will install the new spring & try shooting her Sunday if my back cooperates. (had back surgery 6 Dec and it's acting up again)

Talked to the smith, he pulled teh barrel, cut/crowned and installed the FS, re installed the barrel & checked head space. Turns out rem oil turns to sludge around 45* and that's what I can only assume was in the bolt & on the spring. Will be coating it with a nice thin layer of Slip 2000 upon installing the new Tubbs CS spring.....

Last edited by Rampy; 02-02-13 at 01:54.

Feedback Score
    Replaces the stock spring (top) with a Tubbs CS spring (bottom) & then gave it a nice light coat of Slip 2000. Ya can see how the stock spring has "shrunk" hopefully the new spring will make things mo better now. Pulled the bullet & dumped the powder from a old .mil surplus 308 round & she went BANG rather loud and smokey in da basement

Not going to make it to the range today, hopefully soon.....

Feedback Score
    Glad you got her straightened out.

I fully expect to see a range report post haste!
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Question on Remington 700 Light Primer Strike

Happy to hear. Man that stock spring is super short by comparison.

I'm kind of surprised that the 'smith didn't function-fire your gun after he finished it (or am I assuming this is SOP?).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjh View Post
    I'm kind of surprised that the 'smith didn't function-fire your gun after he finished it (or am I assuming this is SOP?).
    You are assuming that test firing is SOP and it is not.
    Most gunsmiths don't test fire after simple jobs that don't have anything to do with the fire control group.
    Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Question on Remington 700 Light Primer Strike

Quote Originally Posted by AR15barrels View Post
    You are assuming that test firing is SOP and it is not.
    Most gunsmiths don't test fire after simple jobs that don't have anything to do with the fire control group.
    That's why I said I was assuming it. While pulling the barrel doesn't directly effect the fire control group, I'd still make sure things went bang. I check stuff out after any major system changes. Doesn't matter if its a gun, car, computer, whatever.

Feedback Score

Re: Question on Remington 700 Light Primer Strike

Most wouldn't check it and it should have been checked before it got to the smith. Something that doesn't work before hand just complicates the troubleshooting for the smith.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    ‘‘Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.’’
    — Mahatma Ghandi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12