Thread: New Here: How Much is Too Much?

Feedback Score

New Here: How Much is Too Much?

Hey everyone, it's great to be here. I've been lurking for a while and it seems like the community really knows their stuff. Maybe you can help me out with my little dilemma.

I recently decided to purchase the FNX-45 Tactical, one of FN's newest handguns. It has minor improvement over the previous FNP models, and one of the things that really hooked me was the versatility aspect with regards to accessories. It has suppressor threads, a rail for a green laser/light combo, and even an optics rail for co-witnessing with the high-profile night sights. It almost seems like... I don't know... overkill.

My problem, once the gun is in my possession, is going to be not overloading it. With all these opportunities to mount extra gear, I'm going to have to decide what I need and what I don't. I like the idea of shooting suppressed, but I don't want to add a lot of weight upfront. I want rapid target acquisition, but do I really need a laser when I already have irons? And the same principle goes for the red dot: if I already have irons then why would I need another optic? Is it really going to fundamentally quicken my shooting?

I guess my fantasy is to suffocate the FNX with products from Viridian, Silencerco and Trijicon. What I'd like to find out is whether or not that is necessary. What do you all put on your modular handguns, and what do you really need?

Thanks for your help guys, I look forward to becoming part of the community!

P.S. Is shooting +P ammunition out of the Tac a bad idea? Will it run the gun down, or will it be able to handle it since it's military-grade?

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    What do you need it to do?

How much money do you want to spend?

How much training have you done with it, training from good instructors?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    What do you need it to do?

How much money do you want to spend?

How much training have you done with it, training from good instructors?
    It's going to be a dedicated bed stand/home defense handgun. I plan on taking sufficient training classes with it. I have plenty of funding for accessories, that's not a problem.
    Last edited by Tacti-square; 01-09-13 at 20:48.

Feedback Score
    I would suggest becoming proficient with it in its most base form before worrying about all the accesories. I would definitely add a quality light for target identification. Using a rmr or laser may certainly improve your shooting, but you run into the possibility of it becoming a crutch.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If anything just put a light on it and leave it alone.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The only thing I'd say you NEED, is a good light. Beyond that take some classes with it, and decide where you want to go.

-Jenrick

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Avoid Viridian and look into a Surefire X300 Ultra.

Suppressors on pistols are arguable at best. I'd save that barrel of fish for long guns.

RMRs are great, but not necessary.

Look into getting a decent belt, a decent holster, a couple single magazine carriers, lots of ammo, basic cleaning supplies, good eye / ear pro, carry license if applicable, range membership if applicable, more ammo, training, some type of long gun, more ammo, a Glock, and more ammo.

After all that, come back around and put the suppressors and lasers and scopes and all the what-have-you's you want on it. Chances are, you probably won't want a lot of it by then....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacti-square View Post
    if I already have irons then why would I need another optic? Is it really going to fundamentally quicken my shooting?
    Yes, an RMR can improve a shooter. But it carries it's own learning curve. The advantages are there though.

Thanks for your help guys, I look forward to becoming part of the community!
    Absolutely!

What do you all put on your modular handguns,

and what do you really need?
    Nothing. I'll smoke fools in the head with rocks if I have to.

. Is shooting +P ammunition out of the Tac a bad idea?
    It will be fine. Use and carry the ammo you can accurately control.

Will it run the gun down, or will it be able to handle it since it's military-grade?
    I have no idea what "military-grade" means...
    Last edited by Steve S.; 01-10-13 at 00:33.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    This applies across multiple disciplines, though it was posted in the AR subforums: http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?...ighlight=shoot

Steve's right, in terms of how the procurement if support equipment and stuff with which to FEED the gun being of greater priority than jewjaws to hang on it. Those jewjaws aren't going anywhere, and shooting the gun will provide something resembling a knowledge base from which to make decisions about the add-on Barbie Dream House options...

You have a gun designed, on some level, with being submitted to NATO entities for their use in mind, using NATO-pressure ammo. +P isn't going to hurt it at all, but it'll get real expensive, real fast.

Go shoot the gun.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    You decide how much is too much.

Read my sig.

Go have fun and learn something new.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
    The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
    Please realize correlation =/= causation.
    Plural opinions don't equate to truth.

I throw sub-MOA rocks.

Stop relying on others to do the work for you. Challenge the brainwashed.
    Shoot more, worry less.
    Smile. Always. .' ]