Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any tricks to keep lint from sticking so much to pocket pistol?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Any tricks to keep lint from sticking so much to pocket pistol?

I carry at work, but because it needs to be absolutely discrete so as not to cause any employees to feel uncomfortable, I carry a Ruger LCP in a pocket holster in my right front pocket. Problem is, even after just 1 day in my pocket, the gun is covered in lint. Inside the barrel and inside every crevice I can see into, there is a significant layer of lint built up.

I don't want this to affect the reliability of the weapon should the day come that I have to deploy it to protect my self and my employees from danger. Is there any trick I can do to make lint stick to my LCP less? Maybe so that all I have to do to remove the lint is spray it with a little compressed air. I would hate to have to break it down and clean it every day.
    Last edited by blockagent; 01-24-13 at 09:23.

Feedback Score
    Turn your pocket inside out and run a vacuum and a lint roller over it.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Yup, keep your pockets clean. When you put our pants on in the morning do a quick flip inside out and clean the pockets. By never emptying them out it allows lint to build up in there.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    "...covered in lint" and "...significant layer" are subject to some definition, but I think you're probably over-thinking it. Got a picture? If you have a legitimate accumulation of lint, consider what you're washing your pants with, what your pocket lining is made of, or what holster you're using and adjust. Like Urban Redneck suggests, you can also turn the pocket inside out and brush or blow it off before putting the gun in.

Carry the gun for a few days, let the lint accumulate, then shoot it in that condition to test function. I bet you'll find that it's fine.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    If the pocket lint buildup is affecting the gun's reliability, there's either something wrong with the gun or something wrong with your pants.

Carry the gun for a few days, let the lint accumulate, then shoot it in that condition to test function. I bet you'll find that it's fine.
    Try this. Then, as others have stated, keep your pocket as free of lint and crud as is practical.
    I don't collect guns, I accumulate them

Feedback Score
    I have one of those lint rollers with the sticky roll of paper on it. Freshly washed pants get their gun pocket rolled out and it takes less than a minute.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Same thing with my Bodyguard. Just blow it out with compressed air every once in a while when you see it accumulate. If it really bothers you, go clean it. A little lint is not going to cause a malfunction when you really need it.
    "Those who do can't explain; those who don't can't understand"...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by blockagent View Post
    I carry a Ruger LCP in a pocket holster in my right front pocket. Problem is, even after just 1 day in my pocket, the gun is covered in lint. Inside the barrel and inside every crevice I can see into, there is a significant layer of lint built up.
    Such a significant buildup of lint in only one day is odd. I pocket-carry a J-frame all day, every day (12+ hours on average) and only occasionally need to blow a small amount of lint off of the gun. A can of compressed air does the trick for me.

Is your daily work environment dirty/dusty? What pocket holster do you use? Do you use any surface lubricant on your pistol?

I ask about the pocket holster because I've noticed less lint build-up since I switched from a Mika to an Aholster kydex holster.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RWK View Post
    Such a significant buildup of lint in only one day is odd. I pocket-carry a J-frame all day, every day (12+ hours on average) and only occasionally need to blow a small amount of lint off of the gun. A can of compressed air does the trick for me.

Is your daily work environment dirty/dusty? What pocket holster do you use? Do you use any surface lubricant on your pistol?

I ask about the pocket holster because I've noticed less lint build-up since I switched from a Mika to an Aholster kydex holster.
    I don't use any surface lubricant on the outside of the gun. My work environment is an office building, so no dust/dirt. I use a Tucker Gun Leather pocket holster. It is similar to this one: http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server14...87.220.220.gif

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I was getting crud built up in the barrel of my Glock so I cleaned it off and sprayed it with a dry film lube.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast