Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Seeking assistance with Sig Sauer M400 malfunction

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes plus keep us informed. I have a Sig M400 as well and I haven't experienced any problems with it, but I would like to know how Sig handles your issue so that I can get an idea of how they'd handle mine if something were to happen. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Update: Talked to SIG today and the customer service agent is sending me the RMA information. I was instructed to remove all after market parts. Just to be clear, I stated that I installed some Magpul furniture and needed to know if that needed to be replaced with the stock furniture. As expected, he said yes.
    He also said, that there are many detents that could be displaced and that this device falling out was more than likely caused by my replacing the stock furniture. "I should be mindful of that when I get the rifle back that the same thing could happen again."

I'm taking that with a grain of salt. Seems to be a very canned response in light of what actually failed on the firearm. Seems to me the concern should be on the use of reloaded/remanufactured ammo rather than a replacement of a butt stock, pistol grip, and forearm. It is what it is....

As for how long this will take, his initial quote is 3 weeks from the time they receive it.
    Last edited by Khaot1c; 01-25-13 at 09:45.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaot1c View Post
    Update: Talked to SIG today and the customer service agent is sending me the RMA information. I was instructed to remove all after market parts. Just to be clear, I stated that I installed some Magpul furniture and needed to know if that needed to be replaced with the stock furniture. As expected, he said yes.
    He also said, that there are many detents that could be displaced and that this device falling out was more than likely caused by my replacing the stock furniture. "I should be mindful of that when I get the rifle back that the same thing could happen again."

I'm taking that with a grain of salt. Seems to be a very canned response in light of what actually failed on the firearm. Seems to me the concern should be on the use of reloaded/remanufactured ammo rather than a replacement of a butt stock, pistol grip, and forearm. It is what it is....

As for how long this will take, his initial quote is 3 weeks from the time they receive it.
    Hmmmm... that's discouraging... With all the things I've changed out on my M400, it would be a major pain in the ass to change it all back out if I had to send it in... Glad I never broke that castle nut to put that DD QD plate on... It's kind of ridiculous to imply that changing out a buttstock, pistol grip, and forerarm could cause such a thing to happen...
    Last edited by Shao; 01-25-13 at 09:49.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Re: Seeking assistance with Sig Sauer M400 malfunction

Quote Originally Posted by Khaot1c View Post

That is BS. This is a QC / design problem and has nothing to do with what aftermarket parts you installed. I wasn't aware of this" feature" on the M400. Solution looking for a problem, as you have unfortunately discovered. Sorry for your trouble man.

Their request to remove aftermarket parts is likely to reduce hassle on their end when performing warranty work. If you send them a stock upper, they can just replace it with another and not have to be responsible for your parts.
    Last edited by mtdawg169; 01-25-13 at 16:34.

Feedback Score
    Like the op said. Sounds like a canned response. Most manufactuers prefer that you remove any non factory installed parts. Nothing to be shocked about.

Sig has always been good to me. I just hated their turn around time, although three weeks sounds reasonable to me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

m400 pics??

I cant see how on earth changing the foregrip could poss. be at fault for this coming loose.
    please update when you find something out for sure.very interresting though.i just popped mine apart and it looks like its cast into the barrel, i also wonder if you had an over-pressure? did you take any close ups of the part that came loose?? I would be interrested in seeing them if you did.. iam sure sig will fix it for you anyways...

Feedback Score

Update as of 7 Feb.

I had some things come up which delayed me making the trek to my FEDEX Hub to get the M400 mailed back. Anyway, it arrived at Sig on the 5th. So far, no news from them - which isn't surprising since it's only been a couple of days.

@Texasgunhand: I don't have a very good camera so I can't get a great closeup of this thing. not to mention, I packaged it with the M400 for the return along with my note to the gunsmith on what I was doing/what ammo I was shooting etc. Anyway, there were threads on the shank. As if this thing were screwed in. VERY fine threads to be sure. The more threads there are, the more secure it should be right? What I didn't see was any kind of residue, from a compound like Loctite. Again, I'm not sure that this was all of that device - my eyes aren't the greatest and even with the magnifying glass it's hard to see if it looks broken. The thing got bounced around I my upper like a pinball machine before it finally got wedged in the bolt battery by the bolt.

As for overpressure, I do a little reloading, so I save all my brass. The rounds I put through the M400 have all been factory up to this point. Mostly, because I don't want to shoot through all the rounds I've made just to break-in/sight-in this platform.

Anyway, back on track: I inspect all my cases before I process them, and I have processed all of the cases I shot that day - there weren't very many...... I have seen no indication of overpressure on any of the rounds I expended. No 'overly' bulged cases, no primers out of place. I also don't recall any particular shot 'feeling' any hotter than any other I've fired.

I think as a reloader, we tend to dial in to that perception a little more than normal. Or perhaps it's just me and i'm wasting time/energy doing it. Certainly we all want to know if we had a slow burner or a bullet not leave the barrel. So, anyway, even if I were shooting reloaded ammo (Yes, I know it voids the warranty) I never - EVER load hot. Let me repeat that - I never EVER load hot. It's a waste of powder for starters. Second, most of my logs show that the most accurate rounds aren't screamers and typically fall within the lower 1/3 of the loads min recommended powder charge (depending on the data). I measure powder throws QUITE often during the process. I also measure a healthy sampling of the bullets for uniform length (the projectile itself not just the C.O.A.L.) a longer bullet will have to seat further into a case to obtain the same C.O.A.L. Even companies like Sierra let a few get away from them that don't pass 100% QC.
    I don't claim to load 'match' ammo, but if I'm going to shoot, I want it to be accurate. even if it is just a paper target.

Sorry for the novel. I hope Sig will make this right. I have faith that they will.

Feedback Score
    Just took my armorers class at sig 2 months ago. They were very proud of said feature and stated that it was to support/contain the extractor in the event that the gun blew up. This would supposedly keep the extractor from flying out and "killing someone."
    Quote Originally Posted by skd_tactical View Post
    It's a shot in the dark ... I have a better chance of guessing when my wife will be mad for no reason.
    "If your not using an aimpoint, you need to take a ****ing piss test." -LAV

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoNeanderthal View Post
    Just took my armorers class at sig 2 months ago. They were very proud of said feature and stated that it was to support/contain the extractor in the event that the gun blew up. This would supposedly keep the extractor from flying out and "killing someone."
    Did they mention how that would happen? Like, what this thing does and how it defuses the energy? Going on the "in order for something to become clean something else must become dirty" theory.... They tell us consumers what it does, did they tell you folks who repair it - HOW it does it?

Feedback Score

UPDATE! Sig M400 back from repair

My Sig M400 was delivered to me this morning. According to all the tracking info, they received it on the 5th and it started its journey back to me on the 10th. FedEx acutally tried to deliver it yesterday but nobody was home to sign for it. Needless to say, I made sure I was there for it today

The documents inside state that the upper receiver, bolt, bolt carrier group, and the extractor support were all replaced. "2 magazines" of rounds were expended in test fire with no malfunction.

I'll be mounting my optics and replacing furniture tonight, and hopefully getting some range time this weekend.

I would like to add that I am MOST pleased with the AWESOME turn around time and no-hassle customer service up to this point.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast