Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the purpose of all the guns, gear training?

Feedback Score
    I've got to be obsessive-compulsive about something. I could spend just as much time/money collecting beanie babies or playing golf, or working on cars, or doing remote controlled warship combat, etc.

For the past few years it's been shooting competitions. I can't tell you why. But I suspect a few years from now, some researcher will decode the "gun nut gene" and it'll explain everything.

Pretty well goes without saying that you can't be competitive without training and some gear.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by exitinyourhead View Post
    I could make suggestions
    Really? Go on...

Feedback Score
    Rob, it is M4carbine.net. That's why I asked. The software side is much more important then the hardware side, so I'm trying to get in guys heads... See whats going on.

I go through all these threads and meet so many people that talk about 3k AR's, full armor chassis, multiple $600 Kifaru backpacks, etc. for "home defense", and I wonder whats the mentality? Rare is the day when I meet someone that actually knows how to use it. If its for fun- cool! I get that. But if it's for something "real", and you are serious, maybe you should reavaluate what your doing and why you are doing it. So much of what people do is counter intuitive to what they say are there stated goals.

Feedback Score
    Training? I protect the public for a living. There is no such thing as too much training and sometimes you don't have enough or adequate training. You seek outside source for training on your own time and money. Two months ago, my house got burglarized (unfortunately, law enforcement personnel aren't immune to crimes and can be victims too) while I was at work. If I entered into my home while the burglary is in progress or am already home, I have to be able handle this situation and take whatever appropriate action(s) necessary to protect my family. And YES, I am entitled to protect myself and my family in MY own home. If you need to use your firearm, then you need to hit what you are aiming at and not turn your home into swiss cheese and possibly endanger innocent person(s). This is one of the purpose or reason for training - improving skill, ability and knowledge.

Feedback Score
    Obviously there will be many different reasons for the people on here (who are not military or law enforcement) to delve into weapons and training.

Many have a real passion for military grade weapons and gear, and it is just damn satisfying to own them knowing you have the best stuff available. Also why should only the military or LE get to have use of this stuff and not civilians to protect themselves, we all have a right to protect ourselves and be well equipped.

I doubt most are sitting at home worrying about the Russians or Chinese overtaking our borders and are scrambling to get the gear and training necessary to defend against them.

But who knows what the future holds. Terrorist attacks, natural disasters, loss of power plants, or any number of things could bring chaos pretty fast.

Training gives people the chance to use this equipment for what it was meant for. It gives you the opportunity to learn how to use it properly, there is responsibility in ownership of these items and the owners need to know how to use them safely and in a manner that could in fact protect lives.

It is better to be equipped and never need it then to need it and not have it.

Lastly, it is damn fun….

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I have no problem being honest about this.

I attend training for the same reason I shoot in matches; first and foremost it's for the people. I have met some of the best people ever at matches and classes, and am the most relaxed and at ease when I'm at those events and with those people.

Second is for the obvious reason; to (hopefully) get better at shooting. Now what the purpose of getting better is seems to be the crux of your question.

I do honestly believe that I may one day need to use a firearm to defend myself. I also happen to believe that I'm more likely to die in a car accident, of a preventable fatal illness (heart disease, lung cancer, etc.), or of otherwise stupid shit (like cutting my leg off with a chainsaw when nobody is home). I believe that if I do need that firearm it will be a handgun, and I'll probably be carrying my NAA .22 mag on that day.

Situations like this happen in my backyard almost weekly, and they are not always contained to "bad" areas. These kinds of situations remind me every day of why I carry. I or my family could have been at that Wendy's on that day. I know for an absolute fact that if I was there and had the opportunity I would have done what I needed to do in that situation to protect us, and training classes and competitions help give me the confidence in my abilities, and the abilities to back up that confidence, to be able to do just that.

With all of that said, this is "m4carbine.net", and both this site and most others seem to emphasize carbine/rifle training and shooting. I think that the likelihood of my ever needing a carbine, or having one available if I do, to defend myself or my family is so remote as to be almost laughable. I say almost because this is Florida, and I have been through the '04 and '05 (or was is '05 and '06?) hurricane seasons and I saw just how stupid people were about to get, and had things escalated I would have felt a whole lot better with my AR in my hands than my 1911 in my shorts. It would be nice to know how to use that AR if that time comes.

Ultimately training for me is the same as carrying and owning. I don't kill people for a living. I don't protect people for a living. The "job" of a firearm and training with that firearm for me is to provide peace of mind to me and my family. If I get some enjoyment out of that training along the way, then so much the better.
    Nicely put
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    So much of what people do is counter intuitive to what they say are there stated goals.
    This is one of those sad but true things
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Charles

Rob, it is M4carbine.net. That's why I asked. The software side is much more important then the hardware side, so I'm trying to get in guys heads... See whats going on.
    Why do you feel compelled to be the one that "Get's in guys heads" over this topic??

Is it THAT important to you??

Are you on a quest to enlighten the masses??

You come across as sort of "Yodasque" like you just discovered the "riddle of steel" and can't wait to tell others...But first you have to "Understand us all" before you do....

Just my observation...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    What is the purpose of all the guns, gear and training? Lets overlook "self-defense", and the Mil. guys that get paid to do it for a bit, and discuss why is it that people spend thousands of dollars on guns, gear, and training, hours a week on forums talking about the same, for an event that is not likely to happen?

Is it enjoyment? The "coolness" of it? A repressed 12 year-old Red Dawn fantasy? Why do you do it? Really think about it.
    It's better than golf.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walk." Thomas Jefferson
    This and to pi$$ of those who think no person, other than a .gov employee, needs to keep and bear, i.e. own and carry, such arms. Rights not exercised, like muscles not exercised, soon wither. Rights carry with them responsibilities. Hence, training is required to be proficient in their use.

As for "an event that is not likely to happen" read what Ninth Circuit Appeals Court Judge Alex Kozinski said regarding the Second Amendment:

My excellent colleagues have forgotten these bitter lessons of history. The prospect of tyranny may not grab the headlines the way vivid stories of gun crime routinely do. But few saw the Third Reich coming until it was too late. The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed--where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once. [emphasis added]

Fortunately, the Framers were wise enough to entrench the right of the people to keep and bear arms within our constitutional structure. ...

http://www.capmag.com/articlePrint.asp?ID=2792
    And now, good sir, what is the purpose of your guns, gear and training? Are you in the service? A peace officer? If you are either and your employer provides them, why do you need privately owned guns and gear as well as training to use them?

"The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    Guy's, I'm not saying don't have cool-guy gear. I'm not saying don't train. Quite the opposite. However, I am saying, that if you believe it is your duty, your responsibility, to be able to protect yourself, your loved ones, and your community, shift your focus toward that.

As an example, there is a newer post about someone wanting a FF tube for there new gun. The majority of posts are just like it. Guaranteed that 99.1% don't have the skill or knowledge to realize any benefit over basic gear. Yet people always think "buying" something will make them more effective or better. Other then true people shooters and upper end competitors, I can count the number I've met who could out-shoot an iron sighted M4, LCE, and stock G17 in a flap holster, on my fingers and toes..... I've met allot of "shooters".

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast