Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the purpose of all the guns, gear training?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Now, I may just be a civilian with an AR-15 among other firearms that I own....I came here for the hard, indepth research and knowledge of those who are more experienced with said firearm than I. What I dont seem to get is that the individual who started this thread has taken a very snide stance to his question and answer session. A firearm is no different from an automobile or a house, to understand how it works, what issues you may encounter, how to properly maintain it, you must do the research. That being said, what is wrong with making something personal? A renovation on a home or new set of rims is no different than a SOPMOD stock or holographic site for some of us. Then there are the professionals, who legitimately use them as tools on a daily basis and know more and use their weapon more than I ever will.

If you surround yourself with those who know more than you, you will learn a lot.
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing lunch, Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    You may not like what Harv had to say, but it's how you're coming across. The entire tone of this thread is condescending as hell (and since I practically invented condescending, I know it when I see it).

How about a bit of your uber-dude background so we can get an idea of what entitles you to try to "get in our heads"? but keep in mind, uber-dude only goes so far for the civilian shooter that can't call artillery, or backup, or airstrikes, or rely on his teammates... for us it's just us against the world.

People talk about and buy gear because it's easier. How many different ways would you like to discuss shooting from prone? Or engaging multiple targets? Yawn. I can't shoot from my desk at work, but I can click on a thread posted by Grant about a new padded version of a sling that I'd like to try, and I can order up that sling on the phone with him while I'm at lunch. There's not a whole lot I can do about working on my NSRs and hammers while moving laterally to cover from my cubicle.

And even the forums that claim, or try, to be all about the "professional shooter", wind up discussing gear 99% of the time. That should be a clue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    You may not like what Harv had to say, but it's how you're coming across. The entire tone of this thread is condescending as hell (and since I practically invented condescending, I know it when I see it).

How about a bit of your uber-dude background so we can get an idea of what entitles you to try to "get in our heads"? but keep in mind, uber-dude only goes so far for the civilian shooter that can't call artillery, or backup, or airstrikes, or rely on his teammates... for us it's just us against the world.

People talk about and buy gear because it's easier. How many different ways would you like to discuss shooting from prone? Or engaging multiple targets? Yawn. I can't shoot from my desk at work, but I can click on a thread posted by Grant about a new padded version of a sling that I'd like to try, and I can order up that sling on the phone with him while I'm at lunch. There's not a whole lot I can do about working on my NSRs and hammers while moving laterally to cover from my cubicle.

And even the forums that claim, or try, to be all about the "professional shooter", wind up discussing gear 99% of the time. That should be a clue.
    Well said.
    John 8:32 (KJV) And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.

When I was crossing the border into Canada, they asked if I had any firearms with me. I said, "Well, what do you need?" -- Stephen Wright

Feedback Score
    The entire tone of this thread is condescending as hell
    Then I apologize and will end my participation in it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    People talk about and buy gear because it's easier.
    ... I can order up that sling on the phone with him while I'm at lunch.
    If gear isn't sold and if training isn't sold, there is no site. TANSTAAFL.

In 2001 I met Brad Nelson in a cow pasture at Big Sandy, TN for a class given by his soon-to-be associate, James Yeager. Brad started the Lightfighter forum so people could talk about gear (which he sold) and training (which he later sold). He added the used gear forum to make it easy for people to sell gear and buy new stuff from him with the proceeds. Get members into the "fatal funnel" where the IAD is pull out the VISA card and buy. Just like Rob said.

The template works. He sold LF to ATS who, get this, sells training and gear.

What folks do with the gear is up to them.

Oh, and Harv isn't a lefty.
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    The entire tone of this thread is condescending as hell (and since I practically invented condescending, I know it when I see it)..
    That actually made me lol.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You still have not answered the question as to what your background is? Are you civilian, LEO, Delta Force, what?

Why do you spend time reading forums? Why do you buy gear, guns, etc?

Feedback Score

Why . . .

I have all this stuff and I train (usally all at my own expense) due to my chosen profession, in the course of which I carry these force tools and train others to use them.

If I was not in this profession, I would still have an interest in these tools for defense. The gov't cannot and will not "protect" you all the time, as shown by all-too common active shooter incidents.

Handguns, though convenient to carry, are anemic when it comes to stopping people. If I'm in a fight, I want to win. Thus, a long gun.

Someone else's sig line is, "I carry a gun because carrying a cop is too heavy".

While humorous, there's a lot of truth in that statement.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    I didn't really know where to put this, so.........

I just had a conversation about this, and it has been bugging me for quite a while, so I thought I would ask... What is the purpose of all the guns, gear and training? Lets overlook "self-defense", and the Mil. guys that get paid to do it for a bit, and discuss why is it that people spend thousands of dollars on guns, gear, and training, hours a week on forums talking about the same, for an event that is not likely to happen?

Is it enjoyment? The "coolness" of it? A repressed 12 year-old Red Dawn fantasy? Why do you do it? Really think about it.
    Because the chicks dig it and I want to prepare for the zombie attack.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    Because the chicks dig it and I want to prepare for the zombie attack.

Best reason in the thread so far!
    I AM a CanadianGunSlinger!!!!!!

Cede Nullis

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast