Thread: Rs regulate or damage industries

Feedback Score

Rs regulate or damage industries

Just like the name says, currently looking for a mounting platform for opticson a ak. I have been leaning towards the damage industries rail a I like the idea of rail space on the ak, but I know it just came out and cannot seem to find any reviews. So if anyone has any experience with them please share. I know LAV said that rs is the gold standard for side mount which is good enough to me. Just wanted a little more info before buying.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    RS has been working on this for a while...smart enough to take advice what the buying public was looking for... his company is here for the long run because of quality.
    "I would rather be the hammer than the anvil."- Rommel

Owner: Hangar 18 Custom Coatings

Feedback Score
    I am more than happy to give you an objective opinion, but it would help to know what optic, what rifle, and what your goals for the setup will be.

And of course any other questions you may have.
    Last edited by 96 SS; 12-20-12 at 19:15.

Feedback Score
    That would probably help. It is a Arsenal slr 101s, I basically want a simple yet functional rifle, as far as optics I would be leaning toward an aimpoint micro. The more I look though the more I like the rs mount. It seems from what I have read that it is very strong and durable and I like that I can strip the rifle without losing my zero. The only plus I could see for the damage rail would be the ability to mount a light. Any advice though is appreciated.

Feedback Score
    I had to go do a little more research into Damage Industries offering before I could comment with some level of objectivity.

Given your intended purpose I would suggest looking at either the Ultimak or the AKML.

The Ultimak has done a very good job for years providing a place to mount micro optics and lights. It's decently cheap and very high quality. Some say adding an Ultimak increases the accuracy of their AK. The Ultimak also has the added advantage of allowing cowitness with the Aimpoint Micro.

In my mind the Ultimak has four key drawbacks:
    It gets roasting hot very quickly if you shoot hard.
    Any and all added weight is forward of the natural balance point of the rifle.
    Though it doesn't need to be removed to properly clean the rifle, if removed it loses zero and must be redone.
    It is "permanently" mounted and cannot be removed if needed "in a hurry" or if you can't maintain physical contact with your rifle all the time and don't want your optics staying on it.

The first is the most "serious" and likely complaint for most US consumers. This can easily be mitigated to a certain extent just using gloves. The fact that the Ultimak does everything the Damage does with less weight, more credibility, less stuff hanging off the rifle and for less money makes it the clear choice if you want to run optics out front.

An objective look at the alternative products we make would have to include the AKML and BM-1 to mount the light.
    It's more money than the Ultimak, but does several key things:
    Retains all factory furniture that includes heat shields etc. allowing you to run "slick sided" but with all the items you still need.
    Places added optic weight at the natural balance point essentially negating the added weight (8oz total).
    The AKML can be left on the rifle and you can totally field strip and clean the rifle without ever moving the mount, but if needed, the mount can be removed in seconds while retaining zero when reinstalled. This is critical for people like contractors who don't own their rifles and have to turn them back in each day.
    The AKML provides a lower third cowitness.
    The BM-1 can be nearly infinitely adjusted the the ideal location for your own placement preferences.

In the end it's still going to have to be your call.
    Sure the RS stuff is more money, but in my mind it provides some very necessary changes. A lot of people seem to agree with those added advantages considering we were able to form a company and sell rather well.

But if I weren't running an AKML and BM-1 my first choice would be (and was) an Ultimak.

Let me know if that helps.

Feedback Score

Rs regulate or damage industries

I use the 30mm AKM on an SGL and love it. My gas tube gets pretty hot even with normal range use so I'm not going to put an optic on it. I'm probably being a little paranoid but it just seems like a bad mounting point for an optic. I get about lower quarter to third co-witness I'd guess. micro might do better but I like a bit larger field of view so I have no experience with them. here it is with a Vortex. now it has an Aimpiont on it.

it holds zero when removed and reinstalled. the rifle can be disassembled/reassembled with it installed as well. a bit bulky though but it's never gotten in the way of anything.
    Last edited by yz9890; 01-30-13 at 20:07.

Feedback Score
    For AK siderail optics mounts RS Regulate is hands down the best I have ever seen; in particular the latest update with the enhanced low profile locking levers

I guarantee you some guys in Russia have seen it and are highly impressed - no question about it

Feedback Score
    Now, that is high praise indeed!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The damage industries rail appears to use the 'ol wedge it in there between the gas block and lower receiver method of attachment.

I've not tested one, but I'm skeptical that anything attaching like this won't vertically string with heat.

I know the RS is rock solid. It was even with the old com-bloc hardware, and the new stuff is awesome.
    Duane Liptak, Jr.
    Executive Vice President
    Magpul Industries

info@magpulcore.com

This is a personal account linked to a personal e-mail. Company affiliation and titles are provided purely for transparency requirements of the host site. Although factual company information may be shared through this account, any opinions expressed are solely those of the account holder, and not necessarily those of Magpul Industries or subsidiaries.