Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Budget Mil/Mil Optics: BSA Tactical, Millett Tactical, or Primary Arms?

Feedback Score
    I would run away from these offerings, and instead get a fixed power SWFA SS scope with 0.1 mil clicks:

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-MRAD-Scopes-C4225.aspx

In my experience, the low cost scopes with lots of features (illumination, variable power, adjustable parallax, target turrets, etc.) are a POS.

Feedback Score
    A fixed 10x for coyote hunting... good luck with that.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    I have the BSA scope.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/456...-reticle-matte

I took a chance with the BSA FFP scope because I did not want to spend the money on Vortex Razor or SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 and then find out that I did not like FFP scopes. I like FFP scopes. Currently I have about 250-300 rounds of .308 on the scope. One drop on the concrete, it was resting on the Harris bipod and buttstock and I accedently knocked it over. It landed directly on the windage knob which is now damaged(the knob not the function). I still holds zero. I was putting the rifle and scope in a case when I went to the range, now I just lay rifle in the back of the Tribeca or the H3 when I go to the range. Not handling it with gloves but not abusing it either.

BSA say the it is 4-14 power scope and it seems to work like that but when you go from 12x to 14x you had better be behind the scope perfectly. There is no room for error. The clicks on the dails should be better with exposed turrets but I have not had them turn on me yet. From what I have seen and reaschered this is not a typical P.O.S. BSA scope. I am not claiming that it is Trijicon/SWFA/Nightforce/S&B/Leopold or any other medium to high-end scope. It will get replaced, when the funds become avaible.

For what you are planning on doing with it, it should work just fine.
    Last edited by jbsmwd; 01-30-13 at 14:53. Reason: Fix the link.

Feedback Score
    That's pretty surprising considering how horrible normal BSA scopes are.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    One of the things that I looked at was the reviews on midway.com about this scope. 29 reviews with an average 4.4 and 5 being the best and only two reviewers gave it a 1. It was the overall trend that that allowed me to say "sure why not take the chance".

Feedback Score
    That BSA looks almost identical to the Primary Arms. Same factory in China?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    OP what is your budget? Possible could have a better optic from a different brand. Unless your stuck on those.
    At the moment, my fun budget is significantly restricted, and I'd like to get into a mil/mil setup to start learning how to shoot precisely ASAP.

Ergo, I'm looking at the rock bottom.

As others have mentioned here and in other places I've posed this question, that fixed 10X SS might be an option, but as a coyote hunting neophyte, would that high of a fixed power be a problem?

If not, I very well may go that route.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fury413rb View Post
    That BSA looks almost identical to the Primary Arms. Same factory in China?
    I have been wondering about that. It also looks like a British scope, I think it the company is called Falcon. Bodies looked exactly the same but the turrets where different but both where exposed.

Feedback Score
    An option you haven't mentioned that would be worth looking into would be a Leupold Mark AR:
    http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-...tte-black.html
    At $349.99 from the first site I looked at, it only slightly more expensive than the Millett. I am sure if you did a little work with your google fu you could find it for less. I know that Leupold will back it up like every other scope they offer. I wouldn't walk away from the BSA, I'd run screaming. I have absolutely no faith in their quality.

Good luck in whatever you choose, but right now you are venturing into the "Penny Wise, Pound Foolish" territory. You might be better off waiting a month or two and getting a better piece of glass.
    “Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    Take a look at Konus. I know numerous shooters using their spotting scopes and I have one of their M30 rifle scopes. The glass is very good and the warranty is excellent.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast