Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Budget Mil/Mil Optics: BSA Tactical, Millett Tactical, or Primary Arms?

Feedback Score

Question Budget Mil/Mil Optics: BSA Tactical, Millett Tactical, or Primary Arms?

Hey all,

Unexpected expenses have hit over the past couple of months and dug into my fun money, but I still need to pick up a starter mil/mil scope.

Right now, I'm looking between these three:

BSA Tactical 4-14x44mm Side Focus

Millett Tactical TRS-1 4-16x50mm Side Focus

Primary Arms 4-14X44 Mil Mil FFP

Granted, all these are low-end, budget affairs, but do any of these three come out as the obvious choice to you experienced guys? The Primary Arms is a bit of an unknown, historically, but they seem to be building a good reputation for price. That, and the FFP is appealing.

To rehash, this will be going on a 5.56 with mix of precision paper punching and coyote/varmint hunting.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Re: Budget Mil/Mil Optics: BSA Tactical, Millett Tactical, or Primary Arms?

Primary arms has decent stuff, not bad glass. I'd say you get more than what you pay for with PA, but I would not use it on anything but a range-only weapon. I have Trijicon and Aimpoint on my defense weapons. PA stuff is pretty good for a budget though, American company but contracts production in China to cut costs.

I can't comment on the other two.
    Last edited by Koshinn; 01-30-13 at 02:30.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    Check out some of the new Weaver/Kaspa scopes that have come onto the market recently. They're not bad for range only scopes for pretty decent prices.

Friend of mind picked up one of the 1.5-6's and one of the 2.5-10's. They're actually pretty decent considering the price point.

(both 200 or less)

Feedback Score
    I have been looking for an uber-low budget mil/mil/ffp for rimfire. I ordered a primary arms. The first one that showed up was a turd. Virtually no clicks in the elevation turret.

I called and they were prompt to tell me "send it back, we'll send a new one" A couple weeks went by, nothing showed up. I called. "We have nothing in the system for you." It was as if the first call never took place. About a week later from the second call, another scope showed up. This one had mediocre clicks in both windage and elevation... with the elevation turret being egg shaped somewhere. When turning it, it gets easy, then hard, then easy. So something is ob-longed in there.

I haven't had time to test tracking, subtension, or anything yet. I can see through it... and it has a mil reticle. It's small and light weight. I'd rather have enclosed turrets and a better reticle with half mil stadia.

If I compare it to a regular $250 SFP vortex crossfire, this primary arms is a piece of shit. I have no other $250 mil/mil/ffp optics to compare it to. I really wish vortex would put out a mil/mil/ffp in their crossfire line with a Gen II reticle.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For a red dot go with PA if you want magnification go with the millet.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    For a red dot go with PA if you want magnification go with the millet.
    ... my experience with millet has been horrible.

What are you basing this recommendation from?
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have seen them used in 3 gun without much trouble. The ones I saw used were 1-4x though. That may be a factor.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    I have seen them used in 3 gun without much trouble. The ones I saw used were 1-4x though. That may be a factor.
    I would say it is... when we are talking about magnified optics for precision rifle use, in the precision bolt rifle forum.

How many guys you see running a 3-gun, stop to run their turrets? I've never done it, and I've certainly never seen anyone else do it.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Well since the OP is putting them on a 5.56 for coyote hunting and paper punching I don't think he will have an issue. The turrets will most likely be used to sight in and that's it.

BUT if he wanted to try and rotate turrets for ranges then I wouldn't have confidence in any if those optics.

OP what is your budget? Possible could have a better optic from a different brand. Unless your stuck on those.

Feedback Score
    What do you think your maximum is in terms of spending on this optic?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast