Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: To MOE or not to MOE

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you're only looking at price, then you're looking at it incorrectly.

For what it's worth, the MOE handguard is one of the most cost-effective upgrades for the AR15 platform. It's lightweight, it's robust, and it's cheap. However, if you find the need for the best accuracy possible out of your existing weapon, and/or auxiliary rail-mounted add-on's, then you'll likely outgrow the MOE and wanna look at a quality rail.
    Last edited by ^Rb; 02-01-13 at 15:30.

Feedback Score

Re: To MOE or not to MOE

I like my MOE furniture. Its comfortable and adding a light is easy. If you don't need the rail real estate and it fits your hands well go for the MOE. Fit and comfort can make a big difference.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

To MOE or not to MOE

IWC has a MOE handguard with a QD socket pre-installed. They also make mounting hardware for lights that fit the MOE handguards.
    This isn't an illegal gun, it's an "undocumented protection device". Don't be so insensitive.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    MOE - 30
    Surefire G2X - 65
    IWC SMC light mount - 65
    IWC QD socket - 25
    VCAS sling (w/ QD) - 65

Total = 250 < the example rail you mentioned

This is very close to my main AR's config and it meets all my HD, ranch gun, range needs. Can't imagine it not doing the same for you.
    Last edited by rackham1; 02-01-13 at 15:36.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rackham1 View Post
    MOE - 30
    Surefire G2X - 65
    IWC SMC light mount - 65
    IWC QD socket - 25
    VCAS sling (w/ QD) - 65

Total = 250 < the example rail you mentioned

This is very close to my main AR's config and it meets all my HD, ranch gun, range needs. Can't imagine it not doing the same for you.
    This.

I bought a 6920 and jocked it out with a DD omega rail, etc. etc. After actually using it, I put an MOE on my SBR and outfitted it like rackham. For me, the MOE provides 95% of the functionality of the rail at about 15% of the price...

Feedback Score
    For me the MOE has all the function I need for only having a light attached and provides a comfortable grip that rails or stock handguards can't provide. Go to your local gun store and get a hands on feel would be the best advice I could provide.
    Last edited by pcardinal42; 02-01-13 at 16:17.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turk182 View Post
    Thankyou for you reply
    Maybe a light, maybe. I do like the QD socket idea & would use it.

Id like to change them out because they just feel 'fat'. Not to mention it reminds me of one of my first rifle style BB guns, kinda cheap-ish.

Usage.. Steel, local range and I own my land and am willing to drop any coyote I see. No hunting

I have a 15-22 for the opossum, we had an entire family this year.
    I mow with a 22A1 with 5.5 HB for the rock-chucks (little chip-n-dale looking ground rat/mole/thing)

J

From this I would say a MOE hand guard would be something to consider. The carbine length is inexpensive, lightweight and feel better than the stock guards - more grab-able if you will with the slightly slimmer(?) profile, smoother in hand. My stock guards are 6.4oz and the MOE is 6.8oz. The aluminum handguards are nice, but more expensive and unnecessary for my purposes a this point in time. They are also slightly heavier (slightly is 4+oz).

I changed mine out for similar reasons as you - wanted something different from stock. I don't need rail space but there is room for small rail pieces to be installed for small or situational accessories depending on the outing. My purpose for my rifle is land/coyote/hog - ranch rifle if you will. It is not my primary pd and not a duty piece.

Feedback Score
    I love my MOE hand guards. The shape feels much better than the standard ones to me and you can mount a light to them with ease.
    If you can't win a gun fight against a lightly-trained individual during broad daylight with 88 rounds of 30-06, I'm not sure you'd be able to do it with... any other firearm.
    -Fjallhrafn
    Ok, I've got an El Camino full of rampage here, so what's the plan?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turk182 View Post
    Thankyou for you reply
    Maybe a light, maybe. I do like the QD socket idea & would use it.

Id like to change them out because they just feel 'fat'. Not to mention it reminds me of one of my first rifle style BB guns, kinda cheap-ish.

Usage.. Steel, local range and I own my land and am willing to drop any coyote I see. No hunting

I have a 15-22 for the opossum, we had an entire family this year.
    I mow with a 22A1 with 5.5 HB for the rock-chucks (little chip-n-dale looking ground rat/mole/thing)

J

Please PM Senior Member "markm" on the usefulness of QDs. Be sure to insert earplugs prior to hitting "Send"!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Forget MOE handguards, outside of aesthetics they offer nothing (edit: over a regular handguard IMO).

I suggest (and went with) the VLTOR CASV free float no mod rail customizable handguard.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=casv

http://www.vltor.com/casv-sub.htm
    Last edited by ColtSeavers; 02-01-13 at 20:12.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast