Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: To MOE or not to MOE

Feedback Score

Re: To MOE or not to MOE

For my next build, I will be going the MOE route. Not because I like it more but because it will serve it's purpose and make the most sense for that build. I am going for a low cost build with no optics, no lights and no lasers. On my current rifle, I am using a C4 Rail mainly because it gives me the option to mount my optics anywhere I want without being limited to the rail space on top of the upper.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    Do it!

Magpul Scout Light Mount by DIRTMAN556, on Flickr
    DIRTMAN
    Youtube: DIRTMANPROJECT | Twitter: DIRTMAN556 | Flickr: DIRTMAN556

Clint Smith On Gun Safety: [ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Y7LIJm5gI ]
    1. All firearms are ALWAYS loaded.
    2. Don't point the muzzle at anything you're not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you're on the target and ready to shoot.
    4. Be sure of your target and backstop.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Just to pile on:

I will re-emphasize the weight (savings) with the MOE, especially with longer gas/rail systems. I have a 14.5" middy upper with a LW-profile barrel + the MOE hand guards, and the thing is super light. For me, "adding lightness" is high up the list of desirable factors. YMMV.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by you'll shoot your eye out View Post
    I was looking at purchasing a MOE...I recently lost my other AR's in a boating accident and I am currently going for a lightweight AR build. I was able to get a lower (spikes) and upper receiver for less than 300, I have everything else, so why not. I like the MOE because it has mounting options...If I even choose to ever use the option, its there.
    I'm a diver.Where'd the boat turn over?
    A fine is a tax for doing wrong.A tax is a fine for doing well.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    MOE handguards work very well IMO. Are they the "best"? No, but that all depends on what you need to do with the weapon anyway. For the money, I think they're great.

A set up as shown below covers the needs of *most* shooters and costs a helluva lot less than any of the high end rail systems. Fairly light weight (that carbine is 7lbs unloaded). I prefer the shape of the MOE handguards to the standard handguards. Light and sling attachment options are available...IWC makes some really nice stuff.

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    I prefer the look of the standard Colt type handguards, but the lower shape makes them feel like they want to squirt out of my grip. The MOE just feels ultra stable in comparison. And only my DDV7Lw feels as balanced. My other rails - two DD and a KAC, feel good in hand but front heavy.

+1 for the 14.5 middy LW with MOE. Finished a BCM a couple days ago and liked so much I snagged another upper for the future. Though this one will probably wear the ultra light Geissle MK4 when finally avaiable.

Feedback Score
    I don't own a MOE yet, but I am planning on putting one on my 16" lightweight-ish carbine. I want the ability to attach a light and QD sling swivel, and the standard two-piece plastic handguards I am using now just don't do it for me.

I can shoot perfect day and night rifle qualifications with the Army's M4 with the standard RIS. Consistent day time hits out to 300m, and a PEQ that keeps zero well enough for consistent hits at 250m in the dark is proof enough for me that a non-floated handguard isn't the limiting factor of defensive carbine accuracy.

Feedback Score
    As a few other have said, for a simple, lower cost, but still very usable set-up,

MOE handguard + IWC QD + IWC light mount + flashlight of your choice

For the Surefire G2X, that comes out to ~$180 plus shipping. What set up gives you as much for less?

Incognito

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by incognito View Post
    As a few other have said, for a simple, lower cost, but still very usable set-up,

MOE handguard + IWC QD + IWC light mount + flashlight of your choice

For the Surefire G2X, that comes out to ~$180 plus shipping. What set up gives you as much for less?

Incognito
    That's the setup I'm using. It works pretty good for me. I bought the MOE handguard locally then ordered the IWC QD and IWC's light mount & G2X combo.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score

Re: To MOE or not to MOE

I looked at the DD rail but I couldn't justify the cost versus what my need was. In the end, I went with the MOE because it improved my overall grip and is visually pleasing to me. I can always add a light to the MOE as well.

Complimentary typos courtesy of Tapatalk

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567