Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How can i train a new shooter?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

How can i train a new shooter?

How have you guys trained new shooters? What am i doing wrong?

Right after Sandy Hook shootings my sister expressed interest in shooting and owning a handgun for CC. She wanted something small and semi auto. Since i cant rent every type of hand gun i got her a Kahr P9.

A few weeks ago i took her to the range with most of my handguns. I wanted to see what she would be comfortable with and shoot best with. The guns were all 9mm. Glock 19, 17, HK USP, and an older S&W 5946. The G19 is my EDC. She didnt do so good. Lots of misses and no any sort of grouping. Today we went shooting and the same results as before.....except this time o brought my M&P45. Full size M&P with Apex kit and the biggest back strap she would constantly hit the center with all shots touching!

I have had her using the Isosceles stance and then the weaver stance. She's a righty and constantly shoots to the right of the target. Sometimes above, sometimes below and occasionally she strings the shots above the target. Often the shots are nowhere near the target.

Im thinking because she's good with a full size 45 with a thick grip she has a trigger finger problem?!?!?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes... Probably... Pop in a snap cap and have her do the old quarter on top the slide trick for hours a day. It worked for me when I was a kid.

Feedback Score

to much trigger finger?

Having the same issue with of all people a 65 plus year old lady who recently got into firearms , glock 9mm, sig 226 40 , beretta 92, ar 15 , benelli m2. plus her fathers 1911.
    1. all the handguns operate differently she can't hit shit at 10 yards. but she only shoots about 10 rds max before changing guns.
    then she just watches everyone else show her by shooting her guns and her ammo.
    2. Spent several hours & finally told her flat out she needs to pick one handgun atleast 50rds per range session & She needs to shoot her ****ing gun and not watch other people shoot her stuff. Or I'd quit trying to help her and she could pay someone to teach her.

3. with regard to the shotgun some else showed her how to run it, told her i don't know squat about shotguns. One again she watched while other people burned through her ammo. She fired one (1) round and was terrified of it

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I would show her the fundamentals and have her dry fire prior to actually shooting. Show her the proper stance, grip, trigger press, and sight alignment, but ultimately the two most important things are trigger pull and sight alignment. If you have any questions on these, you may be better recommending her to a reputable firearms instructor. You dont what her to gain bad habits. As an instructor myself, I hate dealing/ breaking trainees that have bad habits.
    Last edited by yellow50; 02-03-13 at 19:36.

Feedback Score

continued

4. The ar? she need to sell it or give it to her kids/grandkids.

I actually think she's buying firearms to eventually pass down to her family members. More power to her.

But trying to instruct a stubborn 65 year old woman can get frustrating real fast.

Back to the OP's issue,,Pick what ever gun she shoots best the MP 45 I believe it was. her groups will inspire confidence, while leads to better shooting & a fun range session.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Re: How can i train a new shooter?

There is a reason that there are folks that do this for a living. Highly recommend that you direct her toward a professional.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    There is a reason that there are folks that do this for a living. Highly recommend that you direct her toward a professional.
    For sure. Just remember all those that claim to be professional are not. I'm sure the M4C crowd can come up with someone GTG in your area if interested.

Feedback Score
    In the meantime get a full sized .22 handgun like the Ruger 22/45 (my personal favorite).

No offense to the OP but a Kahr would be one of the last guns to give a beginner. DA trigger is harder to shoot accurately, smaller and lighter gun kicks harder, shorter barrel means more noise and muzzle blast.

Trying to start a beginner with a true CCW gun is a recipe for disaster. I've dealt with the same problem myself and after I let them shoot a small 9mm they decide they need some practice with a .22 and full size guns before getting such a hard to shoot gun.

Feedback Score
    Right handed shooters shooting right can mean too much trigger finger. Try moving the pad of the trigger finger a little to the right. There are alot of things she could be doing wrong. inproper grip, poor sight alignment, poor trigger control, bad stance, etc. Like Failure2stop said. Find someone who knows what to look for.

Feedback Score

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    I've learned that is really true. If the shooter just has a knack and picks it up fast and dedicates to study it can go well. But more often I can show them fundamentals but 40 years of pistol shooting still doesn't equip me anyway to figure out how to get in their head and behind their eyes to understand what they are doing wrong once I've used up all my instruction.

My oldest son picked it up fast, studied the subject intensely outside of range work and is just a superb shot - fast or slow. My younger hit a very low plateau and I could not budge it. Frank Proctor was able to transform his shooting to very decent in two days.
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast