Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: #1 Buck vs. 00 Buck

Feedback Score

#1 Buck vs. 00 Buck

MY HD guns is a Mossberg 590A1, and I love it. However, I read that #1 Buck has a ballistic advantage over 00 because of the increased cross section of the additional pellets in the #1 shells. I'm no expert on ballistics for SG's so I'd wonder if anyone has some data or gellatin tests between the two. Thanks, djd
    NRA Member

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't know exactly, but I like no1 because you get double the projectiles with .30 cal pellets than they of the .33 cal 00bk.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes, #1 buck is my favorite.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm

"12 Gauge Shotshell Ammunition
    For personal defense and law enforcement applications, the International Wound Ballistics Association advocates number 1 buckshot as being superior to all other buckshot sizes.

Number 1 buck is the smallest diameter shot that reliably and consistently penetrates more than 12 inches of standard ordnance gelatin when fired at typical shotgun engagement distances. A standard 2 ¾-inch 12 gauge shotshell contains 16 pellets of #1 buck. The total combined cross sectional area of the 16 pellets is 1.13 square inches. Compared to the total combined cross sectional area of the nine pellets in a standard #00 (double-aught) buck shotshell (0.77 square inches), the # 1 buck shotshell has the capacity to produce over 30 percent more potentially effective wound trauma.

In all shotshell loads, number 1 buckshot produces more potentially effective wound trauma than either #00 or #000 buck. In addition, number 1 buck is less likely to over-penetrate and exit an attacker's body.

For home defense applications a standard velocity 2 ¾-inch #1 buck shotshell (16 pellet payload) from Federal, Remington or Winchester is your best choice. We feel the Federal Classic 2 ¾-inch #1 buck load (F127) is slightly better than the same loads offered by Remington and Winchester. The Federal shotshell uses both a plastic shot cup and granulated plastic shot buffer to minimize post-ignition pellet deformation, whereas the Remington and Winchester loads do not."

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I use mostly 00 Buck as the Federal Tactical Flight control load is easier to find in 00 than #1.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    I would like to know the terminal ballistic differnce between plated and non plated #1. I wonder if the plated works better against intermediate barriers such as auto glass and sheet metal.

Until then I'll stick to 00 (8 pellet to eliminate the flyer) and 000 plated or not.

Feedback Score
    The new Federal #1 buckshot, 15 pellet, 1100 fps "Flight Control" load (LE132-1B) offers IDEAL terminal performance for LE and self-defense use and is the best option for those who need to use shot shells for such purposes. In bare gel, all 15 of the 30 caliber plated pellets penetrate in the 14-18 inch range.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=99583

Feedback Score

Re: #1 Buck vs. 00 Buck

That's pretty impressive Doc. May have to break out the ol' 870p again.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by TriviaMonster; 02-04-13 at 04:10.
    ‘‘Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.’’
    — Mahatma Ghandi

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Glad there are open-minded people and experts here that agree with me. I got into a debate with some folks once on a shotgun forum over the merits of #1 vs 00 buck and everyone treated me like I was some kind of moron, no matter what evidence I used to support my stance.

That being said, I use Winchester Super X because:

A. I don't care about tight patterning at HD ranges, in a worst case scenario, I'd have to shoot @ ~40 yds and I would like
    my 10-15 yard groups to look more like the #5 target in this post:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=115097

B. I believe you get 1 extra pellet (16 compared to 15) compared to the Federal with flitecontrol wad, and an alleged extra 150fps.

C. Half the Federal buck I own leaks buffer - with as many rounds as I own, I don't have time to glue or wax each shell. I don't trust Federal's crimps.

D. I managed to pick up a ton of Winchester when it was <$3 a box.

E. I've never had one not go bang when I pulled the trigger.

F. The bright red hull makes them easier to pick out of a pile of birdshot if need be - the Federal flitecontrol shells seem to use the same hulls as their #4 birdshot loads and in case my shells get mixed up somehow, I don't want to try to stop a home invader with a clay load.

Thanks for the link Doc, have you ever done any ballistics gel testing with any variety of Ddupleks rounds (specifically the 1 oz steel slug)? I bought a large quantity for a ridiculous price before reading much up on it.
    Last edited by Shao; 02-04-13 at 06:48.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    The new Federal #1 buckshot, 15 pellet, 1100 fps "Flight Control" load (LE132-1B) offers IDEAL terminal performance for LE and self-defense use and is the best option for those who need to use shot shells for such purposes. In bare gel, all 15 of the 30 caliber plated pellets penetrate in the 14-18 inch range.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=99583
    Thanks to DocGKR and everyone else for the info so far. Any opinions on Federal #1 Magnum? I'm stuck with a couple ammo cans of it, and the recoil doesn't bother me so far. I guess it's time to swap out my Federal low recoil 00 buck in/on my SG with the "Flight Control" #1?
    Last edited by DarrinD2; 02-04-13 at 08:04.
    NRA Member

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shao View Post
    I got into a debate with some folks once on a shotgun forum over the merits of #1 vs 00 buck and everyone treated me like I was some kind of moron, no matter what evidence I used to support my stance.
    Same here, on the #1 issue vs. 00 and the same old My carbine kicks the hell out of your HD SG. Thing is, I love my M4 LE but I don't shoot it as well as my SG at my HD ranges and I simply don't have as much training behind my M4 - that said I still think I'll keep the SG as my primary HD weapon, and the info on #1 helps that decision.
    NRA Member

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast