Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Got Brass?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Re: Got Brass?

Attachment 15243

Here's 15k lbs of 5.56 in drums. This may be easier for you to transport & store.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Ryno12; 03-14-13 at 15:20.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Could be a bunch of M249 brass mixed in there.
    No good for accuracy or no good to reload at all?
    Open the pig!

Feedback Score
    M249 has headspace slop in the chamber and the cases stretch beyond what it does in the M16/M4 chamber, which leads to case head separation issues. That's the reason I don't reload fired LC brass unless I bought it brand new and fired it myself. I'll process it for others, but I don't reload it even for my own rifles.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah... I've never handled any of the 249 brass... but case separations are a pain in the AR. Not dangerous or anything, but annoying.

I'll process and use once fired LC brass picked up at the public range. I've never seen a 249 out there.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Thanks for the info.

I happened to see a 1,055 lb lot very close to my home and it has me intrigued. My reloading ignorance is nearly complete so I apologize if this is a moronic question - would I be able to visibly tell or would it be a matter of finding out when the cases fail?

I am thinking it would be worth it to save some and scrap some if I can score the lot for the right price so it would not be a total loss if there is a bunch that I can not have reloaded.
    Last edited by TommyG; 02-06-13 at 10:08.
    Open the pig!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    You might be able to hand check it in a case guage. Drop a piece into the guage and look at how much shoulder bump it needs.

You can also sometimes see the link staining on the brass body. But if the brass is dirty, that might not be very visible.

Scrap value on brass is pretty good if you don't sell to a shady recycler.
    Last edited by markm; 02-06-13 at 10:15.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Thanks Mark. I have a good guy that we use for scrap so we could probably get a good price. I'll call him before I bid.

Thanks for all the info.
    Open the pig!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyG View Post
    Thanks Mark. I have a good guy that we use for scrap so we could probably get a good price. I'll call him before I bid.

Thanks for all the info.
    That's perfect. If you can bid at scrap value or not much more, you're pretty well hedged.

Anything below scrap value and you're gold!

Feedback Score
    If you're bidding on a government auction, read the details. They usually require a deposit wired to their bank account in order for your bid to be accepted. This weeds out the guys jacking the price up and leaves it to the serious buyers.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Armament View Post
    If you're bidding on a government auction, read the details. They usually require a deposit wired to their bank account in order for your bid to be accepted. This weeds out the guys jacking the price up and leaves it to the serious buyers.
    Will do. I have a few days to investigate before the bidding opens on the auction. I am going to call them and establish an account the day before if we go after it.

Thanks again guys.
    Open the pig!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast