Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Best Muzzle Brake?

Feedback Score
    I am going to start a new thread with the flash tests because this thread is a generic to all products and my testing is specific. Look for it in a few minutes.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    I am going to start a new thread with the flash tests because this thread is a generic to all products and my testing is specific. Look for it in a few minutes.

Awesome. Are you still going to double-check the db readings as you stated?

Feedback Score
    Yes but not today. It is 37 degrees out.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Yes but not today. It is 37 degrees out.
    Hrmmm, I am doing laundry and the washer-dry is outside in the garage (house built in the 50's). I am going back and forth in my boxers and a T-shirt

We did get snow a couple of days ago though. For now it is a balmy 70's something sunny day.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by comprido View Post

Front Sight magazine has already done a test. The writer put wheels on a rifle rest and measured the rearward travel with no muzzle brake and then with various comps. The DNTC finished 7th out of 7 in controlling rearward movement, and tied for 3rd in the amount of downward force it generated. (The article stated that all of the comps were very close in the amount of downward force they created. The writer indexed the comp 90 degrees from the correct position to measure downward force . I think it's one thing to control felt recoil, and another thing to control muzzle flip. An AR that still has recoil but no muzzle rise is very shootable. )

The comps were ranked in this order in reducing rearward movement:
    TTI Eliminator (tied for first) (reduced rearward movement by 63%)
    SJC (tied for first) (63%)
    JP Tank (61%)
    Miculek (58%)
    Bennie Hill's Rolling Thunder (57%)
    Bennie Cooley's (made by JP) (56%)
    Sabre's Gill (54%)
    DNTC (43%)
    Great info. Anyone have this article they can scan? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Here's mine, which I think I may have posted to a thread here maybe a year ago. I really don't push them these days, my AR context has changed to one where brakes aren't very welcome. They do work well but I never tested them with regards to flash since at the time it didn't matter to me. Kinda would have liked to know how it stacked up against the ones tested in Front Sight though.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I really don't understand wanting a muzzle brake for an AR. The *only* reason I ever considered an AR muzzle brake was during the ban when you could not have flash suppressors. There is still a ban in several states. Since I have not compared this device to the many other muzzle brakes (just one, which I will also post photos of), all I can say is that it works as advertised related to not exacerbating flash and if anything they are being conservative in their claims.

As we still have an AWB here, I've tried just about everything on my post-bans. I am very satisfied with Primary Weapons brakes which I use in 5.56 on the SDM-R pictured here and a 12.5 Noveske SBR and now a 7.5 Noveske in 6.8. Excellent products. I think they do a very effective job on flash for a "combo" unit. Recoil to me is minimal in an AR to begin with but the SDM-R seems to recoil a tad less than my Ops Inc. brake SPR.

"No you don't, sunshine"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OutlawDon View Post
    Great info. Anyone have this article they can scan? Thanks.
    I have a scanned version in .pdf but it is too big to attach here. (It's 880kb)

PM me your email address and I'll send it to you. You may know of a way to compress it and attach it here.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    PM sent.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789