Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Muzzle Brake?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Well, I have settled on the FSC556 from PWS. It is 1.5db louder on a 14.5" barrel when compared to an A2 birdcage.

I have seen videos on their site that convince me it manages recoil VERY well, as well as doing a decent job of flash management. It is not as good as an A2 for flash, but close, and compared to most brakes it is A LOT less flashy.
    How do you know how much louder it is?

Feedback Score
    yes please do tell.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    How do you know how much louder it is?
    On a 14.5" barrel, the FSC556 meters out at 1.5db louder than a standard birdcage. Most people report that the FSC556 is half as loud as anything else out there and I would have to agree.

We have tested it on all lengths of barrels to ensure that we are not "over compensating" and I think you will find the performance on a 20" to be quite impressive.
    -Todd

This was taken from TOS when I asked the industry rep about it.

After watching the video's of it, I can say that it seems to "do-it-all". Muzzle-flash is very low for a comp, and full-auto at 25 yards an M4 stayed easily on a piece of typing paper size target. Fired one-handed, the video showed NO muzzle-rise--weapon was held straight out from the side of the shooter)I view it as worth the $90 for what I want.

Feedback Score
    So the maker of it measured it with an impulse sound meter? Very few people have access to those as 30+ year old used setup is still about $2000. A new setup is maybe $40,000 or more.

In my experience it is likely twice as loud as an A2 flash hider. If you send it to me, I will meter it the same day and mail it back within 24 hours of getting it. I will also flash test it for you and show you photos compared to no flash hider and an A2 flash hider.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    So the maker of it measured it with an impulse sound meter? Very few people have access to those as 30+ year old used setup is still about $2000. A new setup is maybe $40,000 or more.

In my experience it is likely twice as loud as an A2 flash hider. If you send it to me, I will meter it the same day and mail it back within 24 hours of getting it. I will also flash test it for you and show you photos compared to no flash hider and an A2 flash hider.
    I will see about it. If I can order it direct from Talon Arms I will probably pass on your offer as I will just have them install it before my rifle ships. If they cannot get it/will not install it, then I will purchase it and have it shipped to me, then ship to you, and then have you ship it back and I will have it locally installed. I am hoping that after waiting 2x as long as I was quoted, Talon Arms will throw in the attatchment of it though, as I do not have a barrel vice. As to the ind. reps claim, I cannot say what device was used to measure the sound, but I will ask.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I actually don't know what kind of sound meter it was. It belonged to another manufacturer in the area and they were kind enough to let us bring some rifles up for testing. Based on who it is, I would assume it is a very nice one.

No - I will not tell you who it is.

Todd
    here is the thread, sorry to link to TOS, but yeah.
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...=336700&page=8

ETA: PWS's stuff is Gemtech compliant, common sense can fill in the rest I think.

Feedback Score
    If Phil Dater of Gemtech posts "It was my meter. I tested it, and it is 1.5db louder at the shooter, then that is good enough for me. Otherwise, we just have a guy who won't say what meter it was, and won't say who tested it. So... I would have to say the odds are not looking good. Probably a 1% chance the number is close to correct. More than 99% of meters out there cannot measure the peak SPL of a gunshot. And it is not a matter of just having a nice meter as someone on my forum bought a new B&K for over $10,000 and then later learned it did not have the correct specs to measure a gunshot so he had to buy another one. I hope you let me test it. I will post the actual results even if my hypothesis is incorrect.
    Last edited by rsilvers; 03-10-08 at 01:19.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    If Phil Dater of Gemtech posts "It was my meter. I tested it, and it is 1.5db louder at the shooter, then that is good enough for me. Otherwise, we just have a guy who won't say what meter it was, and won't say who tested it. So... I would have to say the odds are not looking good. Probably a 1% chance the number is close to correct. More than 99% of meters out there cannot measure the peak SPL of a gunshot. And it is not a matter of just having a nice meter as someone on my forum bought a new B&K for over $10,000 and then later learned it did not have the correct specs to measure a gunshot so he had to buy another one. I hope you let me test it. I will post the actual results even if my hypothesis is incorrect.
    If I cannot have Talon Arms install it, I will order it shipped direct to you and then you can ship it to me after testing and posting the #'s.

The only reason I would rather have Talon Arm's install it is the fact that I have no barrel vice and it would just be easier if it were already done by the time I got the rifle.

Feedback Score
    Why do you need a barrel vise? Don't you just screw it on with a wrench and use a crush washer?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Why do you need a barrel vise? Don't you just screw it on with a wrench and use a crush washer?
    I was planning to use the supplied peel-washer and have been told a barrel-vise helps greatly vs. just grasping it with my hand. Then again, I have never installed a muzzle-device of any kind, so I am just going on suggestions given me.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast