Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Muzzle Brake?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    So the maker of it measured it with an impulse sound meter? Very few people have access to those as 30+ year old used setup is still about $2000. A new setup is maybe $40,000 or more.

In my experience it is likely twice as loud as an A2 flash hider. If you send it to me, I will meter it the same day and mail it back within 24 hours of getting it. I will also flash test it for you and show you photos compared to no flash hider and an A2 flash hider.
    I realize that silencers and flash suppressors are your focus, but was wondering if you've done any testing of muzzle brakes? I know with most states no longer under the AWB umbrella that flash suppressors are enjoyed by many - still, there are many who have only muzzle brakes to add to their rifles, so I was just curious. I have a Troy Medieval Brake inbound for a build that won't come to fruition for a few more months, if you're interested I'd gladly send it to you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I was planning to use the supplied peel-washer and have been told a barrel-vise helps greatly vs. just grasping it with my hand. Then again, I have never installed a muzzle-device of any kind, so I am just going on suggestions given me.
    I have an an insert to hold the upper in a vise. I only use it when I need to remove a stuck-on muzzle device. I don't use it to put one on. I just lay the rifle on its side on a chair and sit on it. Putting on that on needs to special tools or skill.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MassMark View Post
    I realize that silencers and flash suppressors are your focus, but was wondering if you've done any testing of muzzle brakes? I know with most states no longer under the AWB umbrella that flash suppressors are enjoyed by many - still, there are many who have only muzzle brakes to add to their rifles, so I was just curious. I have a Troy Medieval Brake inbound for a build that won't come to fruition for a few more months, if you're interested I'd gladly send it to you.
    I don't have instrumentation to test muzzle brakes for recoil and I never wanted to do a half-fast job at it, so I have not tried. I have tested them for sound loudening and flash. The flat surface on them causes the gas to go from supersonic to subsonic speeds in such a short distance, that the temp rapidly rises and the unburned powder ignites into a big flash. I have seen multiple claims of muzzle brakes which has some flash reduction properties, but my tests on camera have -- so far -- always shown spectacular flash. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -- so now I feel people who make that claim of the seemingly impossible have to prove it.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I don't have instrumentation to test muzzle brakes for recoil and I never wanted to do a half-fast job at it, so I have not tried. I have tested them for sound loudening and flash. The flat surface on them causes the gas to go from supersonic to subsonic speeds in such a short distance, that the temp rapidly rises and the unburned powder ignites into a big flash. I have seen multiple claims of muzzle brakes which has some flash reduction properties, but my tests on camera have -- so far -- always shown spectacular flash. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -- so now I feel people who make that claim of the seemingly impossible have to prove it.
    Well, Talon Arms is ordering and installing it for me, They are charging $100.00 to do everything. The cheapest I have found it is $92.XX online + S&H. That means I will be saving some $$ on shipping and installation, not to mention personal time saved. I will let everyone know how it sounds to me, and regret that I cannot get it to you for proper testing. Here is a video though of their FSC556 fired at night compared to their other comp (which is ONLY a comp). I noticed (before anyone mentions it) that it is breaking dawn when they shoot the FSC556, but imho it is not light enough to matter as you cannot see the shooter in either the ambient light, or by the muzzle-flash (something easily seen with the DNTC comp.).

http://primaryweapons.com/UserFiles/...FSC556_web.wmv

Unless they are doing some VERY unethical advertising, I think the video says it all, and I would think that inaccurate depiction would be shooting themselves in the foot.

Feedback Score
    Unfortunately you cannot properly test flash with a camcorder as they have automatic gain. I use an EOS-5D with manual exposure at ISO 3200.

I don't know what to make of that video except it makes me want to test it more and also use no muzzle brake and an A2.
    Last edited by rsilvers; 03-10-08 at 10:38.

Feedback Score
    Thanks - thought it might be interesting to see. Nice website by the way - gives me inspiration when the time comes to move to a free state...

Feedback Score
    I run the Miculek on my 16" 308, and it cuts down perceived flash (from the shooters perspective) immensely over the standard A2 on an M4. I know, apples and oranges, but I would expect the same results on 5.56. As the ports exit only horizontally, you see very little of the flash in your optics while the A2 has a very bright flash right in your eyes. Both of these were shot in the middle of a pitch-black night.

As for rise, it does a very good job on the 308, but not as much for recoil as I would like though the difference between it and straight barrel are night and day. It will however make quick enemies of the guys two positions either side of you at the range.

Feedback Score
    Alright. I gots to know. If it works as a flash hider, even if it is worse than an A2 but almost as good -- it will be impressive. So I just ordered one and will test it next to an A2 on an M4.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I can't wait to see those results
    Thanks Mr.Silvers
    E=mc^2+/-3db

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Well, I have settled on the FSC556 from PWS. It is 1.5db louder on a 14.5" barrel when compared to an A2 birdcage.

I have seen videos on their site that convince me it manages recoil VERY well, as well as doing a decent job of flash management. It is not as good as an A2 for flash, but close, and compared to most brakes it is A LOT less flashy.
    I have the PWS FSC556 on every AR weapon that isn't suppressed.

You made an excellent choice. However, I don't know if the 1.5 dB measurement is correct because it is significantly louder than an A2 and most people can't tell the difference in 2-3 db, needless to say 1.5 dB. I would take Robert's offer on sending it to him for a dB test. If you don't, then I'll do it. (Robert PM me if he doesn't).

Edit, nevermind. I see Mr. Moneybags bought himself one.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast