Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Muzzle Brake?

Feedback Score
    Actually I bought two. I am going to machine the prongs off one of them as I predict they have zero effect on flash. This is just a hypothesis for an experiment. The actual results will get posted whether or not my hypothesis is correct.

Place your bets now... Do the prongs help with flash or not?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My bet is for "Yes, they do."
    E=mc^2+/-3db

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I've had a DNTC compensator on a 16" midlength and it was flashier (technical term there ) than my wifes 11.5" SBR with a FSC556 with both using Federal XM193 ammo......I didn't use a light meter or photograph the flashes but it was a noticeable difference. YMMV.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    No they will not affect flash whether they are there or not...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MassMark View Post
    No they will not affect flash whether they are there or not...
    So they are there as a 'faux' feature? Like when people put used to put fake cell phone antennas on their car? (For those who are young, it used to be a status symbol to have a cell phone, so some people would put a replica antenna on their Toyota Corolla).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    So they are there as a 'faux' feature? Like when people put used to put fake cell phone antennas on their car? (For those who are young, it used to be a status symbol to have a cell phone, so some people would put a replica antenna on their Toyota Corolla).
    That's kinda what i was thinking...I don't think they would be there if they didn't do SOMETHING (I could always be wrong!). I'm not one for www hype, although the videos do impress me, that's why I'm buying one.
    E=mc^2+/-3db

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Unfortunately you cannot properly test flash with a camcorder as they have automatic gain. I use an EOS-5D with manual exposure at ISO 3200.

I don't know what to make of that video except it makes me want to test it more and also use no muzzle brake and an A2.
    Judging by the 8 page thread on TOS about this, the vid originally included an A2, and very little, if any flash was visible, they deleted it (in my opinion) because people were comparing the FSC556 to the A2. It is NOT a flash-hider/comp, it is a comp and THEN a flash-hider. Basically it keeps the flash from killing NV and messing with your sight picture.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Actually I bought two. I am going to machine the prongs off one of them as I predict they have zero effect on flash. This is just a hypothesis for an experiment. The actual results will get posted whether or not my hypothesis is correct.

Place your bets now... Do the prongs help with flash or not?
    I will say "yes" because the DNTC is just an FSC556 without the prongs, and we saw the video. I know I know...nothing you hear and only 1/2 of what you see...BUT! I say they DO have an effect.

ETA: So we will know for sure by maybe Friday this week?

Feedback Score
    So the maker of it measured it with an impulse sound meter? Very few people have access to those as 30+ year old used setup is still about $2000. A new setup is maybe $40,000 or more.

In my experience it is likely twice as loud as an A2 flash hider. If you send it to me, I will meter it the same day and mail it back within 24 hours of getting it. I will also flash test it for you and show you photos compared to no flash hider and an A2 flash hider.
    Do you think the manufacturer is being dishonest?

Feedback Score
    The parts were shipped today, so I will have them this week. Actually I am not sure because they were mailed USPS. I will do the test the day after I get the parts.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast