Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Precision AR Build almost complete...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zane1844 View Post
    And I read the thread you made almost right after reading this one, hope you get everything squared away.
    Thanks, I think I have the problem solved now... stakey bits were protruding from the side of the gas key from my overenthusiastic staking.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    Nice set up. You have a lot of money in that rifle.
    Edit: can you post a pick of re staking job you did on the BCG?
    Thanks, it started as an idea.. then a barrel... then it kinda got out of hand.. Will post pics of the BCG once I get some light in here. The wife is sleeping and I'm m4carbining in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Crocs View Post
    Shao: any reason why you went with that rail and, particularly, that gasblock? It's aluminum IINM.
    I've always had a thing for the featurless tube look.. that and it was cheap.. as was the gas block... I didn't know I would end up spending so much money on this rifle or I would have changed things from the beginning.... After much contemplation, I've decided to try for that sweet Seekins rail but I think I'm going 15" so that means I've got to replace the gas block and front sight (more money... ugh)...

Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    What is the purpose and why the 18th century musket barrel?
    Quote Originally Posted by Airhasz View Post
    My guess is he got a deal on an in stock barrel...and after reading the 18th century musket comment it will be on it's way to adco for some deal killing 'cuttin an a turning'.
    IG - Airhasz got it right... I knew little about how much a 24" bull barrel would weigh and it was in stock and relatively inexpensive (since I knew from the beginning accuracy would be my main concern with this gun, I paid extra attention to the barrel and trigger) - I should've paid extra to have them flute it at the factory, but as mentioned earlier, I didn't know the project was going to keep ballooning as it did. The barrel will probably be sent to Adco soon to maybe have a couple of inches lopped off and have it fluted/reprofiled a bit. I do like the look of the bull barrel though.

Quote Originally Posted by ReaperAZ View Post
    I hope that sucker is going to be a bench gun. My girlfriends father has a 24" bull barreled AR that I used the last time we went for prairie dogs. That thing was the biggest pain in the ass to haul in and out of the truck. I call it his field artillery gun because it should be towed behind the truck and crewed by 5 dudes.
    Yeah, I never had any intention of hauling that thing anywhere. It's will probably live its life solely as a bench gun and as my SHTF, I need to set up shop on the roof and pick off crazies kind of rifle...

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    We're on the brink of a revolution in this Country. He's a traditionalist!
    Hahaha! Constituionalist even...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Expensive rifle

I just did some head math and I'm already $3300 + deep on this one. Switching to a low pro gas block of reputation, fluting the barrel, adding the Seekins rail, replacing all the springs with Wolff, replacing the front sight, and adding the bipod/monopod/mounts will bring it well over the $4000 mark... man.. what have I gotten myself into... It never seems like that much when you're buying parts separately... I had no idea how much I had already spent on this monstrosity..

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I guess I missed something. How does it shoot?

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Did you do any research at all before you started? Do you realize that you could have built an 18" SPR or 20" rifle for probably a thousand dollars less, if not more?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Did you do any research at all before you started? Do you realize that you could have built an 18" SPR or 20" rifle for probably a thousand dollars less, if not more?
    A did research - not as much as I could or should have, obviously. I will say, the only inflated price I really paid was for the AP lower - $220 with FFL transfer fee included. Everything else was purchased at pre-craze prices. I mean, I could have saved a few bucks on the UBR if I had bought one in November, but I only shelled out $260 for it, so I wasn't gouged that badly. The scope and mount alone set me back $1130...
    Last edited by Shao; 02-06-13 at 09:52.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Don't worry I'm probably looking at $2500 for a 14.5 build I'm trying to complete and the only thing that was really inflated was the AP lower. I still don't have a BCG either. Money adds up fast when your buying part by part. I could have saved tons by not getting a geissele MK1, SD3G, 1.5 BattleComp, Colt LPK, and I bought everything to make it ambi except a mag release. So I believe I will end up with a high quality rifle. When I get the barrel in I'm going to start the build and ill post it up.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Before spending the money cutting and contouring that 24" barrel, search for Little Crow Gunworks. They often carry Lothar-Walther barrels at reasonable prices that include a matched bolt. You could wait until they get the 20" HBar profile barrel in stock and sell that big, long heavy thing you got now. That might cost less than sending it off to Adco.

In it's current configuration, the BUIS are teats on a boar-hawg. If that scope goes out at the bench, are you really going to switch to the BUIS and keep shooting? More likely, you'll switch to the next rifle or pack up and go home to post on M4carbine about your lousy day at the range.

It needs a bit of tweaking but it's a good start. Myself, I'd lighten it up enough that it could be used as a walk-about for varmints
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Before spending the money cutting and contouring that 24" barrel, search for Little Crow Gunworks. They often carry Lothar-Walther barrels at reasonable prices that include a matched bolt. You could wait until they get the 20" HBar profile barrel in stock and sell that big, long heavy thing you got now. That might cost less than sending it off to Adco.

In it's current configuration, the BUIS are teats on a boar-hawg. If that scope goes out at the bench, are you really going to switch to the BUIS and keep shooting? More likely, you'll switch to the next rifle or pack up and go home to post on M4carbine about your lousy day at the range.

It needs a bit of tweaking but it's a good start. Myself, I'd lighten it up enough that it could be used as a walk-about for varmints
    Thanks for the tip, I'll look into that. Sorry, but irons are a requirement for me on any rifle. If I ever did need to use it in a combat situation, I'd rather be safe than sorry... and while it weighs a ton, I can still shoulder and fire it if need be... Plus, when a rifle weighs as much as this one, a pair of BUIS aren't going to ruin my day if I have to hump it around for awhile.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    I guess I missed something. How does it shoot?
    Indeed.... and it's not a good idea to go fluting and/or reprofiling a barrel after final heat treat.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Indeed.... and it's not a good idea to go fluting and/or reprofiling a barrel after final heat treat.
    Hmmmm... thanks for the advice...

How does it shoot? I have no idea... it's a virgin...

Hopefully straight!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast