Thread: Set up and milling out a troy rail

Feedback Score

Set up and milling out a troy rail

Little project I had last summer. This rail was going over an ares kit so it needed a little material removed. Here are some pics of the lenghthy set up for 25 minutes of milling fun.
    Sorry about the clickable pics, photobucket wouldnt let me post large ones.

Set up always takes forever. Indicating in fixed jaw of vise.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

I laid this rail next to mine for rough dimensions of what needed removed as I have an ares kit on my gun also and both rails go over carbine length gas systems. My rail was considerably shorter though

[/IMG]

I had to come up with some kind of fixture to hold the rail in the vise. I bought some 1/2" x 1" stock, milled it perfectly flat and drilled two holes in it that lined up perfectly with the threaded holes in the rail. Two 1/4 20 bolts, washers, nuts and I was ready to go.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

I clamped the fixture in the vise and indicated the floor and the sides of the rail.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

sides...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Finally getting to pull the indicater from the machine and reinserting a 7/16 end mill, I was confident that everything was in order. I could now begin the short (by comparison) process of acually milling the handguard.
    I used a magic marker to mark the graduations on my hand feed dial as I didnt have the proper tool it took to measure the distance I was cutting into the sides. It worked just fine. I knew what the ares kit needed to do its job, so I used that number plus alittle.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Thats it... I did buy a can of black high temp paint to cover the raw aluminum. I didnt take pictures of that because as usual I just wanted to get the job done. Standing at the machine gives me a back ache.

Feedback Score
    nice job

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Impact View Post
    nice job

Thanx man... I try.
    Twas actually my first project for someone other than family or friends. PRO-BONO.

Just kidding on the "eek", involving payment sometimes makes things complicated and I love the work.