Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I crazy??? Charter Arms Bulldog .44

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Am I crazy??? Charter Arms Bulldog .44

I'm finding myself more and more intrigued by the concept of a small, inexpensive, big bore revolver (which won't be quite as punishing as .357 magnum) for a self-defense/ccw. In hammerless DAO flavor.

The price seems right, and from what I've read, as long as I stay away from the Charco or Charter 2000 versions, it should be reliable and trustworthy.

Heck for the price, I'd think about carrying two!

Still plan on keeping my 9mm semiauto as my main training/ccw gun. The plan for the .44 Special is for when I need something smaller for concealment.

Thoughts on the Bulldog? A search didn't bring up a whole lot on here.

Feedback Score
    If your just trying to find a cheap concealable carry revolver why not find a used S&W 642, a big bore revolver is no more better suited for defensive purpose's then a 38 loaded with +p's... and I've shot a bulldog 44 before, but it was so long ago and when i still wasn't very proficient with a pistol so i can't really comment on it except to say i don't remember anything to spectacular about it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don't know--I may still do that. I'd prefer the bigger bullet and perhaps have the benefit of better barrier performance though I recognize that the improvement (if any) may be marginal. I would like to have better data on .44 special v .38 special +p lethality and barrier performance. I really don't know.

Unspectacular is fine. Looking for simple, plain-jane, effective.
    Last edited by jc000; 04-04-12 at 12:49.

Feedback Score
    I can't imagine there being any difference in lethality between the two, and i have no idea which is better against barriers, i would guess the heavier of the two would be better and if the 44 sp is better i would bet it's fairly marginal. Aside from your prefernce/questions on the caliber, looking at the requirment you have for the revolver-cheap, reliable, simple, hamerless and given that you typically carry a 9mm it seems like the 642 is the gun for you. 38 special is a way more common round then the 44 special, it's easier to shoot, cheaper to buy and the gun will be less bulky and a big difference between the two companies(S&W vs Charter Arms) is a solid reputation. Look at how many people carry a bulldog 44 as a bug opposed to how many carry a 642 or similar j frame.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    The Bulldog goes back to the era when semi-autos weren't as reliable, .38 ammunition was feeble and modern hollowpoints tailored to specific velocities weren't available. At the time, it and the Star PD .45 were two of the more popular choices among knowledgeable professionals.

Today, the Bulldog holds no advantage. There are many far more effective platforms and ammunition available than back then. It's still a cool gun and I'd still like to own one, but I probably wouldn't carry it for defense. Same for the PD.

Feedback Score
    I have three charter arms revolver. two 38 specials and a 357. the 357 is my wifes future carry gun. she has weak side wrist problems so a semi does not cycle reliably for her. she loves the 357 it is ported and she can chew through rounds with it. she practices with 38s. we have ran probably 400 rounds through it and i am considering getting another. it is plain but it functions and that is what i want for her. i also drop the 38 in a pocket when i do not feel like strapping on my glock 27. she will not let me carry her 357. :-)

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tsconver; 04-04-12 at 16:27.
    Carolina Smoke and Guns
    Licensed Class 3 Firearms Dealer
    Consulting on NFA Items

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The old Bulldogs were good guns, but I can't remember the last time I laid hands on one, so I know nothing of current production models.

If memory serves, it was a bit on the bulky side. Small for a .44, but hardly tiny.

I'd opt for a 642 or Glock 26. In fact, I do.
    Last edited by Frailer; 04-04-12 at 16:36.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    you're neighbor's dog isn't talking to you, is he? and your dad's name isn't Sam, is it?

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)

It takes a manly man to shoot one!

I bought one to leave with my wife for SD when I went to VN way back when. We went to the range with some factory RNL 44spls. I had been shooting a LOT of 45acp on the base pistol team and felt pretty studly when I touched off that sucker the first time! Second round hurt worse than the first! We put it away for the duration and got her a 38, which I loaded with with reversed hollow base wadcutter handloads.

Borrow one to try out first. You may be tough enough to handle it well - I know I wasn't!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    you're neighbor's dog isn't talking to you, is he?
    No, of course not!

I mean not lately...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast