Thread: Possible front sight canted

Feedback Score

Possible front sight canted

I just got a savage mark ii standard. I love to work a bolt action and wanted a half way descent rabbit killer. It appeared fine till I hit the range this morning. All of my groups were high and left. I adjusted the rear sight as much as possible but was still high at 25 and 50 yards. I can't tell 100% if it is canted when I look at, part of me thinks it may be my mind playing tricks on me. I plan on contacting savage Monday morning but I wanted an idea of what I am dealing with.

Last edited by NC_DAVE; 02-09-13 at 16:07.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Move your rear sight to the right and your front sight to the left. Using both you should be able to sight this rifle in just fine.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    BTW, if you really want to shoot that Mark II to it's potential with iron sights, find a set of sights from a Savage Mark II FPT.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Move your rear sight to the right and your front sight to the left. Using both you should be able to sight this rifle in just fine.
    Wish I could but the rear sight has no windage adjustment and the front sight does not seem to have it either. I also have maxed the elevation adjustment out.
    Last edited by NC_DAVE; 02-10-13 at 12:42.

Feedback Score
    WINDAGE: It might be the way I am looking at the picture, but it looks like the front sight is a little far to the right of center and that will make the rifle shoot to the left. I would tap the front sight over until it appears centered and shoot the rifle before touching the rear sight.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_DAVE View Post
    Wish I could but the rear sight has no windage adjustment and the front sight does not seem to have it either. I also have maxed the elevation adjustment out.
    You will have to tap them over with a delrin punch or a brass punch if they are staked in tight. Make sure the side of the barrel and receiver is resting on a piece of hardwood when moving the sights. Don't just lay the rifle on it's side without supporting the barrel and receiver and pound on the sight. Move them a little bit at a time and fire shots to verify the amount of change.

I suggest putting witness marks on the sights with pencil before moving them, so you have an idea how far back you need to tap a sight if you go a little too far.

ELEVATION: Try different ammunition and see if the height of your point of impact changes. If that does not work, check with Savage to see if they offer a taller front sight to lower the point of impact.

After you zero your rifle, the light bulb should go off and the next time you sight a rifle this way it will be easier.
    Last edited by 7 RING; 02-10-13 at 12:59.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=7 RING;1542337]WINDAGE: It might be the way I am looking at the picture, but it looks like the front sight is a little far to the right of center and that will make the rifle shoot to the left. I would tap the front sight over until it appears centered and shoot the rifle before touching the rear sight.

You will have to tap them over with a delrin punch or a brass punch if they are staked in tight. Make sure the side of the barrel and receiver is resting on a piece of hardwood when moving the sights. Don't just lay the rifle on it's side without supporting the barrel and receiver and pound on the sight. Move them a little bit at a time and fire shots to verify the amount of

Alright that sounds good. Thanks for the feed back.