Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 300 blackout with AK reliability

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by !Nvasi0n View Post
    This...just keep the AK. Or realize that AR's these days from reputable manufacturers are equally reliable, if not more so than AK's.

I just don't get people holding the AK to the pinnacle of reliability. Been around many AK's in class that went down. Had AK's go down myself...had over 12 AR's in the last 6 years from bottom feeders to BCM...I have literally only had 4 FTF's across the board in about 40,000 rounds amongst those guns.
    Most of those AKs were probably poorly built trash. There are all kinds of things wrong with a lot of the AKs sold on the US market. It doesn't surprise me much when a 16", carbine gas DPMS with a .090" gas port and 42-round Promags port shits the bed. It shouldn't really surprise anyone when an AK with a crooked gas system, hard rivets, and an extremely out of spec mag well does the same.

The AK has its reputation as the pinnacle of automatic rifle reliability for a reason. They will put up with more abuse than an AR, or any other semi-auto/select fire military rifle will, end of story. Does that mean the AR isn't reliable? No, a properly built AR is an extremely reliable weapon. But if you want more reliability in a fighting rifle than the AK brings, you're probably going to have to get a SMLE.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I have a Daniel Defense lower and upper with an AAC 9" 300 BLK barrel. Only issue was with 300 Whisper bullets. 1 out of 5 would FTE. I tried different mags and buffer weights to no avail. I went desperate and stuck a rubber o-ring on the extractor spring in the DD bolt. All whisper issues have been solved for about 250 rounds and counting. Remmington 147 gr 300 blk bullets still function just fine as well.

I've acquired my AAC 762 can post the craze and haven't shot it suppressed just yet. But I have no worries it will function fine.
    Last edited by matemike; 02-24-13 at 15:01.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123