Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Any tomahawk users here?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I love Tomahawks, I've had one or more since I was a boy. I got my first one when I received my first real guns, (20ga. & .22lr rifle) at 7 years old. I watched the movie Northwest Passage about Rogers' Rangers and I just had to have a hawk. Every time I venture into the woods I have one on my belt. Most of mine are hand forged like the ones from the 18th century. I have several H&B Forge hawks, one I use as an all purpose tool, one is a Ranger hawk with the back spike, one is strictly for cleaving flesh and a couple I use for throwing.
    Last edited by Berserkr556; 09-11-14 at 12:00.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    americankami.com
    I hope this link comes thru...check out the hawks & EVERYTHING else this gent makes....very awesome.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    americankami.com
    I hope this link comes thru...check out the hawks & EVERYTHING else this gent makes....very awesome.
    His stuff looks awesome. I can't justify the price for something I'll end up beating on though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Don't count on anything you don't sleep with attached to your body to be present when you have to fight for your life.
    I will never get to train as much as I want to. So when I do I need to make it count.
    F@ck Yolo. Bangarang!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by St.Michael View Post
    What are the technical differences between hawk and hatchet
    A tomahawk head goes on from the bottom, an axe head goes on from the top. This gives the tomahawk the advantage of being able to use any tapered stick in the woods as a make-shift handle. Making a handle for an axe on the fly is a little more difficult. The tomahawk head is also of a slightly different shape, though with many different varieties of tomahawks and axes heads available now this is not much of a distinction. A polled axe is a hawk with a slightly more axe-like head. In my opinion the fully metal handled "hawks" are not a true tomahawk (more on that below).

The primary purpose of a traditional hawk is a weapon. It's usefulness in bushcraft was closely secondary to this. In field use, it rides the line between large knife and small axe. It does neither task well, but can do a bit of everything from limb and baton small trees, to skin and dress game (using the head removed from the handle). You can do more with a large (4") knife and an axe, but it will cost you in weight.

Of course, modern tomahawks don't typically follow any guideline and have become somewhat of a fashion accessory. I don't like completely metal handled hawks because they cannot be repaired in field (and the metal *can* break). Those types are also overly heavy. They make work for urban use, but I think they lose the versatility of the true tomahawk. My personal choice for the woods is a polled axe, since I carry a knife anyway, the more axe-like design makes it more useful for me.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    I picked up a SOG Voodoo Hawk and have been playing around with it. Its seems pretty nice for the price ($46 shipped I think?) but I am not an expert by any means. I just wanted one to mess around with.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    I picked up a SOG Voodoo Hawk and have been playing around with it. Its seems pretty nice for the price ($46 shipped I think?) but I am not an expert by any means. I just wanted one to mess around with.
    Have fun with it but be careful, the handles break. SOG should take care of you if it happens, though. Oh, and by the way, hawks are addicting.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    FYI- knifecenter.com has the SOG Tactical Tomahawk on sale for $29.95.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I dont mind paying up to about 150 for a tool like this that I know is going to take a beating. Though I started buying 30 dollar edc knifes cause I kept losing them. I treat em almost like disposable razors
    Don't count on anything you don't sleep with attached to your body to be present when you have to fight for your life.
    I will never get to train as much as I want to. So when I do I need to make it count.
    F@ck Yolo. Bangarang!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You can get a good, forged by hand in America hawk for well under $100. Check out HB forge. In my opinion those $200+ tactical tomahawks, while cool looking, don't deliver more functionality than a well-made traditional-style hawk.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyohte View Post
    You can get a good, forged by hand in America hawk for well under $100. Check out HB forge. In my opinion those $200+ tactical tomahawks, while cool looking, don't deliver more functionality than a well-made traditional-style hawk.
    IMO, especially the wooden poled ones. There's a couple I like but for the price, I have to ask myself, "What does it really do for me?". Some of them are sexy, sweet looking pieces but other than that...

Saying that, there's a specific one in the $150 range that keeps calling my name lol. Thankfully, I have been looking at H B for awhile now myself and that may satiate that "need".
    "Warriors"

Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets. Nine are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one...one is a Warrior, and he will bring all the others back.

-Heraclitis

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast