Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New general purpose bolt gun idea.

Feedback Score
    jbjh,

Thanks for the info.

If money were no object, I'd just get a Brockmann Premier Practical Rifle. But, money IS an object.

http://www.brockmansrifles.com/bolt_action_prac.asp

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

New general purpose bolt gun idea.

Quote Originally Posted by JFPATCH View Post
    jbjh,

Thanks for the info.

If money were no object, I'd just get a Brockmann Premier Practical Rifle. But, money IS an object.

http://www.brockmansrifles.com/bolt_action_prac.asp
    Ha! I have kids. Money is always an object.

Brockman makes cool stuff. There's a ton of great custom makers out there these days to choose from, if you have the cash.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjh View Post
    if you have the cash.
    EXACTLY!!

Feedback Score
    If I may offer a few points based upon years of experience in the field.

I built something similar. Mine is a .308 Tikka T3 stainless, cut to 20"s and topped with a 2.5-10x24 Nightforce. I use a VTAC sling.

I have killed everything from elk to jackrabbits to coyotes with mine.

Some things I did that may be worth considering, or not....

I used Talley lightweight, one piece rings. They are a base and ring in one. These are rock solid and will save you weight. The chances of coming loose are slim to none. They are a smart choice on a rifle like this.

You can get a decent look here:

I used a very coarse wood screw and a tiny dab of epoxy on the threads when I put the screw/stud in that my sling attaches to on the side of my stock up front. Over the course of hundreds of hours afield it has never backed out. Make sure it does not come through and contact the barrel, thus messing up your barrel harmonics. I know that sounds obvious, but sometimes we forget to check the little things.

Without getting into a debate about optics, I found over the years that a mid range optic, something along the lines of a 2-8 or a 2.5-10 or 4.5-14 is good to go. The low powered jobs have left me wanting a little bit more in the fields and on the range.

I usually keep mine on a lower power setting when afield, then dial up when needed. Doing it over, I would still go for a 2.5-10x, rather than something of lesser power.
    THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Feedback Score
    On a practical note, having a lighter weight rifle such as what you (OP) are contemplating building will let you go further in the field, if that is a factor.

With lightweight gear, such as my little Tikka "practical rifle" and things such as a compact roll up wood burning stove, a guy can cover some ground in a day.

BTW,

This is how the Tikka shoots with 165 grain Hollow Point Boat Tail Gamekings and Varget.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12