Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't strip Armalite AR10 BCG!

Feedback Score
    Strange - have never seen this on Armalite BCGs. I had mine NiB coated without pre-tolerencing and it's perfectly fine in the cam area. Must be a range of inconsistency with them.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Read step 7 on page 36 of the owner's manual concerning removal of the cam pin.

http://www.armalite.com/images/Manuals/AR10Manual2.pdf
    Last edited by T2C; 02-17-13 at 09:56.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    I have one that does the same thing.

It's not an operator issue, the gas key doesn't have enough clearance for the cam pin to pass in any orientation (or the cam pin head is too large, I don't know). I'm going to grind the side of the gas key to allow it to pass, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Pretty lame, but not a showstopper.

Dano5326 Guest
    I would grind on cam key before gas tube

Feedback Score
    I have one also and it does the same thing. It will come out thought. It wont come out with fingers for anything. But I use the blunt edge of a knife and lift it and it comes right out. Its real strange. Almost like I'm slightly twisting or something so minor I'm unaware I'm doing it but using a flat tool works with no problem.

I'm not saying I'm forcing it out just using the smallest amount of leverage with a flat edge and it comes out as it should.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dano5326 View Post
    I would grind on cam key before gas tube
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    Read step 7 on page 36 of the owner's manual concerning removal of the cam pin.

http://www.armalite.com/images/Manuals/AR10Manual2.pdf
    7.Lift out the cam pin (BC-4).

NOTE: Until parts are broken in, tight tolerances sometimes require use of a flat tipped screwdriver or other suitable object to gently pry the cam pin past the bolt carrier key. The cam pin must never be altered to provide clearance.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Dano5326 Guest
    The external portion of the cam key has little to do with function. Be it round, square, oblong or roller type.

I would hope all manufacturers advise against altering any portion, esp internal parts, of their wares.. as most customers have little idea of how the magic boom-stick works.

If you are going to alter something, start with the cheapest, least important, easiest to replace part. And maybe not a part which is getting over 50,000psi pushed through it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have had 2 .308 AR's in the DPMS LR-308/Mega MA-Ten pattern whose carrier and cam pin were exactly like this. Nothing wrong with them, just that the tolerance between the key and cam pin was so tight that you had to push the pin out. After a hundred rounds it slid out via gravity.

Feedback Score
    The tightness isn't where the cam pin passes through the bolt and carrier, it's a clearance issue between the carrier key and the cam pin head. Since the head of the cam pin doesn't rub against anything (and neither does that part of the gas key), I'm not sure what magic is going to happen to make these fit together (unless the hole the cam pin lives in opens up, or the diameter of the cam pin wears down).... but I really hope those won't wear that fast.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12