Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anti Spall Coating for AR500 Plates?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks for the responses. As far as the Rustoleum spray bed liner being too thin, I totally agree. After 3 coats, I was doubtful but went ahead and added two more. And whether it has five coats or just one, you can't tell its so thin. Lesson learned: DO NOT use rustoleum spray on bed liner for coating AR500 plates! I will head to the auto parts store tomorrow and try again, hopefully with Herculiner. Thanks again!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Line-x developed (or just renamed) a product called Paxcon for this purpose, as well as blast mitigation. It is supposed to be applied to a thickness of 6mm or 1/4". I don't think it's a diy process though. I'm sure any quality bed liner product would perform nearly identical.
    "You must school yourselves to savagery." Patton

I've got enough posts to sell in the EE but since I only average 0.02 posts per day, it will be approximately 7,700 days until I can post in the general discussion area. [end of mild rant]

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Colt 6920 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. As far as the Rustoleum spray bed liner being too thin, I totally agree. After 3 coats, I was doubtful but went ahead and added two more. And whether it has five coats or just one, you can't tell its so thin. Lesson learned: DO NOT use rustoleum spray on bed liner for coating AR500 plates! I will head to the auto parts store tomorrow and try again, hopefully with Herculiner. Thanks again!
    To resurrect this discussion,
    I agree.

I have not seen the follow up on this or some other threads where guys were going to test various options.

I have turned in all work and excess work kit and am down to personal kit.

The Rustoleum liner is very thin and non-textured compared to other bed liners.

There is a product for saving docks and such called Deck Restore that is a very thick and grainy roller applied product that may be better. It is harder to find than it used to be because it is so thick and slow to work with the market has clamored for thinner and easier to work with products such as Olympic Deck Rescue.

I know there are plenty of sources for Kevlar fabric for making backing inserts. I agree this may be a viable anti-fragmentation/anti-spall option for the front of the plate.

I am not familiar with the Kevlar/Carbon Fiber hybrid fabrics that some are touting as superior to Kevlar.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up AR500 spall coating

I got mine spall coated from canarmor.ca

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I had some old kevlar armor laying around that I cut to shape and duct taped to the front of my ar500 armor. I got the new lighter panels with swimmer cut that are about half the weight of my old panels, even with the kevlar attached on front. Hope to never find out how well it works as it rides in the back of the patrol car.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Anti Spall Coating for AR500 Plates?

Last edited by Inkslinger; 04-29-18 at 11:20.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123