Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anti Spall Coating for AR500 Plates?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    I believe the bottom line is they are not worth it!
    This is better than having nothing. I can't justify with the Mrs spending over a grand on the setup I want, when it will just sit in the gun room waiting for SHTF.
    Last edited by Evil Colt 6920; 02-17-13 at 17:56.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    These are perfectly suitable for your intent.

I was actually looking into these for the same "just incase" reasons.

Now, if somebody were using these for LE, or while on deployment a better plate/armor system would be in order.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Here is some discussion on fragmentation dangers.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=117335

This seems like an effective alternative to 'liner

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=117547
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Re: Anti Spall Coating for AR500 Plates?

Just a note, spall comes from the plate itself, fragmentation comes from the projectile. While spalling can be a problem (see tank warfare), the major problem in this case is fragmentation, not spall. But you'd coat the back of the plate to prevent spall just incase.

The idea behind rhinoliner, which has shown to help a lot, is that the bullet punches through the liner in a near hole, hits the metal plate below, and fragments between the liner and the plate, getting caught there.

It works if money is really tight, but the outside edges of the plate can still cause fragmentation.
    Last edited by Koshinn; 02-17-13 at 21:40.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    Just a terminology note, spall comes off the back of the armor and is made up of the armor itself. Splatter/fragmentation comes off the front of the armor and is mostly made up of the projectile.

The idea behind rhinoliner, which has shown to help a lot, is that the bullet punches through the liner in a near hole, hits the metal plate below, and fragments between the liner and the plate, getting caught there.

It works if money is really tight, but the outside edges of the plate can still cause fragmentation.

Thanks for the clarification.

I went ahead and started the coating process today. I will only be doing the 6X8 side plates until I have shot, and verified that the Rustoleum brand bed liner is good to go.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Re: Anti Spall Coating for AR500 Plates?

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Colt 6920 View Post
    Thanks for the clarification.

I went ahead and started the coating process today. I will only be doing the 6X8 side plates until I have shot, and verified that the Rustoleum brand bed liner is good to go.
    I was just about to suggest testing before using. Ar500 is cheap enough to buy a dedicated testing plate. Just don't use the plate you tested in your actual armor carrier.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Colt 6920 View Post
    Not trying to debate effectiveness here. I have seen enough tests prove that applied properly, that truck bed liner will catch the spall. I was just hoping someone had experience to share with the Rustoleum brand of bed liner.
    Its extremely thin - think paint with some sand thrown in. Scateboard tape is grittier. Chapped lips are grittier. I would skip it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Anti Spall Coating for AR500 Plates?

Quote Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
    Its extremely thin - think paint with some sand thrown in. Scateboard tape is grittier. Chapped lips are grittier. I would skip it.
    It's not one coat and you're done. It's multiple coats till its the appropriate thickness. There is probably more than a 1/4" of material on each side of the plate.
    Last edited by Inkslinger; 02-18-13 at 18:05.

Feedback Score

I have coated a few plates...

with bedliner material. If the rustoleum you're using is in the spray can, then I think it's way too thin, IMHO. The best stuff I have used was in a pint can from an auto parts store (gotta go back there and get the brand name). I used a small roller to apply several coats. Probably ended up being around 1/8" thick. Don't skimp on this layer!

Used, or surplus kevlar is pretty cheap. I think some Level II, either on top of the plate (front toward enemy), or maybe sewn into the front of the base rig itself might be a very good idea.

I'm gonna get some AR-500's and try it out.
    Working for Crossfire Australia, a military rucksack and load-bearing equipment company. Still doing limited design and development of nylon LBE.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast