Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bought a Rem 700 sps tac, now what?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Bought a Rem 700 sps tac, now what?

Somewhat new to bolt guns, but I have always wanted one since I sold my last 700 and finally picked one up.

From the reading I have done the Hogue stock is crap. So that will be the 1st to go. For now that is probably going to be the only thing to get changed out until I get some time behind the gun.

However I don't know where to start with scope, mount and rings. Any insight would be great. This is going to be a plinking gun so I'd like to keep glass around the 500 range. Vortex comes to mind, but what one?

As for stocks I think I have narrowed it down to this one, thoughts? I'll have to have it bedded cause I'd have no idea what im doing.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/273...ynthetic-black

Feedback Score

At $500 budget, get a TPS steel 20 moa base, TPS medium steel 1" rings and a Nikon buckmaster 4.5-14x40 with the mildot reticle and side focus.
    Last edited by AR15barrels; 02-15-13 at 02:42.
    Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru

Feedback Score
    Save another $500 and get a Viper PST ffp.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I like the looks of that stock. Prolly get something similar when the time comes. I also just bought a 700 SPS, waiting for my base to come in.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by myv6 View Post
    As for stocks I think I have narrowed it down to this one, thoughts? I'll have to have it bedded cause I'd have no idea what im doing.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/273...ynthetic-black
    I put a B&C m40 non adjustable stock on mine with the same aluminum bedding block, dropped right in with no fitting needed and accuracy has been great. But the Hogue was surprisingly stable...
    This was 5 shots during barrel break in as my SPS Tact 223 came "out of the box"

The stock you picked should be a good performer, check here... it's in stock and will save you a few bucks
    http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet...actical/Detail

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just put a B&C A2 Tactical Medalist stock on my new SPS Tactical .308 & I love it. Feels so much better than the Hogue. Now, just need to boresight it and find some time to actually go shoot it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    +1 on Stocky's Stocks. I got my B&C Medalist II from them at a great price.

I have a chicom Millett LRS scope mounted on my 700SPS. It was a bit of a pain finding quality rings for the 35mm tube but it does not need the 20moa base. I realize that it isn't the best quality in optics but is damn good for the $.
    Last edited by luvmy40; 02-16-13 at 07:03. Reason: SP

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks Gatkeeper. I think i actually have that bookmarked throug stockys, i dont know why i posted the link throug midway, probably just browsing..

As far as optics go thats 500 for just the glass, i can get mount and rings seperate, just want something good quality. Buy once, cry once i guess.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by myv6 View Post
    As far as optics go thats 500 for just the glass, i can get mount and rings seperate, just want something good quality. Buy once, cry once i guess.
    Raise the budget another 500 to 700...
    Then you can buy once.
    Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Don't feel like you need to rush right out and buy a stock. The Hogue stock isn't ideal, but it serves its purpose perfectly adequately.

If you're new to bolt guns, and on a limited budget, focus your efforts on getting a decent optic/mount/rings (the Vortex PST FFP is an excellent suggestion). Shoot it.

When you notice a performance deficit (i.e. you can outshoot the rifle) then you can start worrying about new stocks/barrels etc.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast