Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can i put a foregrip or vertical grip on factory colt 6920

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Odd, the OP posted this a couple days ago yet hasn't been seen since. And on top of that never specified he wants a VFG only.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Well, for the OP;

Yes, you can mount a VFG- there's a number of companies that make rail sections that match up and mount through the holes in the stock handguards.
    And No, it's not a good idea. Cheap, yes. Good, no.

If you don't want to dish out (or can't find) a good quality FF rail/handguard, at the very least, get a Magpul MOE HG- at least it locks up solid enough to mount stuff without worrying about twisting it off.

Also, like M_S mentioned, think about "why" you want it before sticking something together.

*edit*- Darnit- WAY late to the party on this one....
    Last edited by Jellybean; 02-20-13 at 23:22.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score

Thanks PetesM4

Quote Originally Posted by PetesM4 View Post
    Yes, you do need rail to mount the AFG to the MOE handguard.

I used an L4 on mine (see the picture above).

Also, the MOE handguard has a little lip that comes down on the very front. My AFG is even with this lip/front of the handguard.

After mounting the L4 rail as far forward as possible (it splits two of the slits in the handguard), and the AFG tightening bolt going through the rail, it would only mount about 1/4" back from the front. It required me dremelling about 1/8" of an inch inside the AFG to allow it to slide further forward on the rail, allowing the front to be even with the front/lip of the handguard and allowing the tightening bolt to go through one rail further up. Hope that makes sense.
    I appreciate the info. Thanks for the pic. Let's me see exactly what the Magpul MOE handguard and AFG are going to look like on my 6920 once mounted.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kneauxla View Post
    ...and I have already ordered a Magpul AFG. I also ordered a Magpul MOE Handguard and a couple of Magpul L5 MOE rail sections. I bought one for the handguard to mount the AFG (I was told I needed a rail to mount the AFG because it couldn't be mounted directly to the aftermarket handguard....can anyone verify that?) and one to replace the carrying handle/rear sight where I am going to mount a Magpul GEN 2 MBUS rear flip up sight and a EOTech red dot. Now I'm wondering if the L5 rail will be long enough to mount both the MBUS and red dot?
    Not sure if I'm tracking in regards to the second rail section. You bought it to mount a rear sight and an EOTech on the top of the receiver, where the rear sight/carry handle is currently located? The receiver has a full length of rail underneath the carry handle.
    Last edited by Chameleox; 02-21-13 at 14:12. Reason: grammar
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score

Dummy Me

Quote Originally Posted by Chameleox View Post
    Not sure if I'm tracking in regards to the second rail section. You bought it to mount a rear sight and an EOTech on the top of the receiver, where the rear sight/carry handle is currently located? The receiver has a full length of rail underneath the carry handle.
    This is my first AR platform. If I had just paid attention I would have seen the rail but for some reason I thought the handle was mounted differently. I must have looked directly at it more than a few times but it obviously didn't register. Thank you for pointing that out. I'm feeling a little foolish right about now but hey, I came to this spot to learn and I've already learned plenty. At least I'm only out 8 bucks for the extra rail. It will be the start of my spare parts bin.

Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Almost all of use have a box of parts we don't need, and probably shouldn't have bought.

Welcome aboard!
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chameleox View Post
    Almost all of use have a box of parts we don't need, and probably shouldn't have bought.

Welcome aboard!
    So true. I haves some plastic stuff that I bought to mount flashlights to rails that I scratch my head over now. I have a VFG on one rifle and I like that setup, but it is the only rifle with on it. There is a use for VFG, but it is limited IMHO.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    VFGs mean little to me, I don't care if they are grabbed, used as handstop or where you mount them. Only thing that matters is hits on target!
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Can i put a foregrip or vertical grip on factory colt 6920

I use a shorter vfg on mine as a hand stop. I haven't tried an afg, but the vfg feels great, as I've never really "gripped" it.

Feedback Score
    VFGs make sense on guns with an IR laser, tape switch, light, and suppressor, because if you keep half your hand on the rail, and half of it on the VFG you can really manuever the gun fast. Also, you can use it to anchor the rifle when you're using cover.

That's why I run them. (light, tape switch, and suppressor. I do want to run NV in the future though.)
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12