Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can i put a foregrip or vertical grip on factory colt 6920

Feedback Score

Can i put a foregrip or vertical grip on factory colt 6920

i just purchased a new 6920 and am curious if there is any forehand grips oout there that i can add to the factory hand guard. thank you

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    There are short picatinny rail sections, made by several manufacturers, that can be mounted on the OEM handguards. They enable you to then mount a forward grip.
    Last edited by darr3239; 02-18-13 at 16:51.
    "Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Feedback Score
    What do you really think you're gaining by using a VFG?
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    Have you shot your platform yet? I recently bought a 6920 with magpul furniture it cam with a forward vertical grip and i absolutely Hate it the only thing i ended up using it for is a hand stop
    NREMT-B
    OHIO EMT-B
    Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    F*CK MEXICO. Come get your illegals and drug smugglers. Maybe Mexico should register f*cking Mexicans.

Feedback Score
    My 20" AR works great without a VFG. Your Colt is nice and light, definately lighter than my 20". The only AR I have a VFG on is an original Ruger SR-556, it's actually heavier than my 20". After trying handstops and trying to hold it every way possible I got a VFG. The VFG works great and I don't know if it's the ergo's or what but it is better. Of course the Ruger is heavy up front, it is listed at 7.94 pounds. Try 8.75, I just weighed mine that is out of the box no optics, mag, or flashlight.

My 20" with an A2 stock is only 7.5 pounds naked but the weight is more evenly distibuted. Try shooting it first. I only add things that are needed now. Carry a 9 or 10 pound rifle with ammo, food, knife, a small first aid kit, and water on a 4 mile hike in Ohio when it's 90 degrees out and you will start looking for things to save weight. I have a great respect for guys like my brother humping 70 or 80 pounds of gear in hot desert heat over in Iraq or Afghanistan. Having a cool looking rifle is great but function will beat form every time.

If a VFG is something you have to have then I will say that you might want a new forarm like a quad rail, you will probably get some flexing when you hold onto the VFG. With that you will get into even more money, but it might be better spent as with a quad rail you can more easily add a flashlight. It all depends what your purpose for the rifle is.
    Appeasement is never the answer in the face of naked aggression.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I went the route of putting a section of rail on the bottom half of my stock M4 handguards on my first AR, then adding a VG. It wasn't a robust solution in any sense of the word.

The handguards flexed and shifted under the torque of grabbing the grip, and since it's not free floated, you're contributing some unknown but non-zero quantity of force to your barrel, which probably won't help accuracy.

If you must have a VG or similar, I'd recommend getting a decent free-floated quad rail from any of several reputable manufacturers. Daniel Defense and Centurion (and others) make quad rails that will even extend past your front sight post if you wish.

Welcome to the site...the orange search button is your friend.
    I have far more guns than I realistically need, but far less than I want. - NongShim

Feedback Score
    You can.

But like others have said, I say shoot it first, see if you like it, and try different options and see what you like best.

I'm not a big fan of the VFG (just my personal preference). I shot with the 6920 stock, then with the VFG, and then with the AFG.

As for my tastes...I like the AFG best, but most people would say the MOE handguard isn't long enough for what the AFG was made for. I however, love the grip there. My index finger on my left hand rests on the front of the MOE handguard pulling back almost, and my thumb rests on the light pressure switch mounted on the left side.

Additionally, I've got a magwell grip on my S&W 15-22, and like holding there best also. And most would argue you shouldn't hold the rifle by that spot.

Everyone's got there own taste...just my opinions.

Feedback Score

VFG vs AFG

I too initially put VFG on 2 of my AR's. IMO they just get in the way. So I switched to the AFG and like it so much now all of my AR's have the AFG mounted.

Feedback Score

I just bought a LE 6920

and I have already ordered a Magpul AFG. I also ordered a Magpul MOE Handguard and a couple of Magpul L5 MOE rail sections. I bought one for the handguard to mount the AFG (I was told I needed a rail to mount the AFG because it couldn't be mounted directly to the aftermarket handguard....can anyone verify that?) and one to replace the carrying handle/rear sight where I am going to mount a Magpul GEN 2 MBUS rear flip up sight and a EOTech red dot. Now I'm wondering if the L5 rail will be long enough to mount both the MBUS and red dot?

Although I haven't shot my rifle yet I have a friend that owns one and he does have a AFG mounted to a FF rail. (think I'm going to stick with the handguard for now) The AFG is not as grippy as I would like it to be but it does feel more comfortable and natural to me to use it instead of just the handguard. I was also able to shoot tighter groups using the AFG as opposed to the handguard when I shot my buddy's 6920 with and without the AFG mounted. I have never liked the look or feel of VFGs so I have never considered getting one. It's good to know there are other compelling reasons not to install one although they seem to be very popular.

Feedback Score
    Yes, you do need rail to mount the AFG to the MOE handguard.

I used an L4 on mine (see the picture above).

Also, the MOE handguard has a little lip that comes down on the very front. My AFG is even with this lip/front of the handguard.

After mounting the L4 rail as far forward as possible (it splits two of the slits in the handguard), and the AFG tightening bolt going through the rail, it would only mount about 1/4" back from the front. It required me dremelling about 1/8" of an inch inside the AFG to allow it to slide further forward on the rail, allowing the front to be even with the front/lip of the handguard and allowing the tightening bolt to go through one rail further up. Hope that makes sense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast