Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which BCG to use

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Which BCG to use

Hello guys, quick question for you. I am looking to set up a couple weapons, not sure what to do.

I just got a BCM bcg in to compare, so now I have a question.

I have a bolt carrier marked 1b1b6 (Toolcraft). Bolt is marked MPI, carrier is non-chrome lined. It is a FA carrier.

I also have a S&W semi BCG, bolt marked MP. Chrome lined.

I am not sure what to do here. I know that the FA carrier is preferred, at least partially for the added weight. I weighed 4 BCGs,

The weights were:
    LMT 327g
    BCM 327g
    S&W semi 318g
    Toolcraft 320g

So I know the proper weight for a FA BCG is 327g - but which of these BCG's do I throw in the spares box, and which do I throw in an upper?
    My first thought is the S&W Semi BCG is not really much less weight than the Toolcraft, and it is chrome lined so it will be easier to clean.
    Last edited by el_chupo_; 02-22-13 at 11:05.

Feedback Score
    The bcm gets used now imo

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have been using a BCM BCG in my Colt 6921 And have had Zero problems

NRA Member

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Sorry, left that thought incomplete. The BCM will go in a BCM upper. I was just able to use it, and the LMT, to compare these other two. One of which will go in another, backup/friend use gun, the other will be a spares bolt or get sold when I am able to pick up another known high quality BCG.

Feedback Score
    Given two carriers that are otherwise the same, I'd go with the heavier (non-neutered), but I wouldn't want a non chrome-lined carrier, myself. Of the two, I'd use the S&W.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Either the BCM or LMT. Both are top notch and good to go.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The BCM is going into a BCM upper I just received. The LMT is going back into my LMT.

I am asking which of the other two I should use in a backup/loaner rifle. The Toolcraft or the S&W.

Feedback Score
    140 (100%)
    Leave the AR15 carrier for your spare.

Why? With the knowledge base present on the forum and interwebz, it will be easier to tune/troubleshoot your gun with an M16 carrier; if you have any kind of cycling issue that will be the first repsonse is to switch to an M16 carrier.

I wouldn't be too concerned with lack of chrome lining, just be sure to inspect that area of the carrier for pitting in the future.

ETA: I thought Toolcraft's BCG were chrome lined and their website shows that they are. I'd definately use the Toolcraft BCG and store the S&W for spare.
    Last edited by jwperry; 02-22-13 at 12:43.
    You dig your grave with your fork.

Feedback Score
    I've used and installed ToolCraft carriers in the past.. they're good to go.

Store the S&W.
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    But you should have enough mags that you don't need to see a grief councelor if you destroy or damage one.

Feedback Score
    You're saying the Toolcraft carrier you have isn't chrome lined? I wouldn't want that so go with the S&W. 9 grams is 1/3 ounce so maybe go to an H2 buffer (assuming you now have an H in a 16" M4gery?)
    Last edited by Quentin; 02-22-13 at 13:50.
    US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast