Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Max Michel and Triggertime TV talk about armed professionals getting out to the match

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I've shot with LEOs in matches and some shot duty gear and some ran comp gear. Both shot their way (tac & gamer) and enjoyed themselves. I've also talked to entire departments during qualification and offered to provide ammo at no charge for practice and the match and was met with zero interest. I'm not sure of the reasoning for not wanting to participate.

Keith

ETA: Thanks for the link knight.
    Last edited by Keith E.; 02-24-13 at 21:52.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    It's understandable. You train like you fight.
    If you want to practice tac reloads because it's relevant to you, then by all means do so. But doing so in the middle of the El Prez not only defeats part of the purpose of the drill, it pretty much means you're not doing an El Prez. You're doing a 2-2-2, with a tac reload, and then a 2-2-2 again. Apples, oranges.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    One thing that a lot of prospective shooters get bogged down in is gear. Really, the gear is not the issue.
    True, shooting with "duty" gear won't cut any time for you, but those .5 seconds you are losing due to the snap is rarely the difference between 1st place and last place for a stage.
    Further, while some gear might get you pushed into a different division, or possibly have your score not count (really only applicable at higher level matches), you will still be able to shoot unless you are shooting from something "unsafe". It irks me that a few places won't let you shoot from appendix carry, but that's such a small aspect of the shooting that it is almost not even worth mentioning.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    One thing that a lot of prospective shooters get bogged down in is gear. Really, the gear is not the issue.
    True, shooting with "duty" gear won't cut any time for you, but those .5 seconds you are losing due to the snap is rarely the difference between 1st place and last place for a stage.
    Further, while some gear might get you pushed into a different division, or possibly have your score not count (really only applicable at higher level matches), you will still be able to shoot unless you are shooting from something "unsafe". It irks me that a few places won't let you shoot from appendix carry, but that's such a small aspect of the shooting that it is almost not even worth mentioning.

Good point. I usually appendix carry off duty and would like to compete that way. The clubs I shoot at won't allow it.

I also agree with your comment about duty gear. If I do my part I can usually place in the top 10% at a club match. I don't win matches, but I get in trigger time and meet great people.
    Last edited by T2C; 02-25-13 at 14:35.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I am a LEO that shoots and runs matches. The thing many people that are LEOs and .mil miss is competition engrains quick and accurate shooting. That is the tactic you learn and get to reinforce during competition. It is just like every school or class I have been to you take parts and pieces that can apply to you. Many LEOs are cheating themselves because they are losing the opportunity to learn how to shoot under the perceived stress of a clock. It is one of the best ways to learn to deal with adrenaline and tunnel vision while shooting. The biggest benefit I found for me was learning to think through a problem ( the course of fire) while dealing with self induced stress. Being able to think and take in everything around you while shooting will give you a leg up in the competition world and the real world.

Matt

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    The clubs I shoot at won't allow it.

WTF? IPSC right? There's nothing in the rulebook that forbids it, and there is no such thing as club rules in a USPSA affiliated club.

Could you try with holster in the same position, just under your belt, but outside your pants?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by theblackknight View Post
    WTF? IPSC right? There's nothing in the rulebook that forbids it, and there is no such thing as club rules in a USPSA affiliated club.

Could you try with holster in the same position, just under your belt, but outside your pants?
    USPSA? Could be just the Division requirements for holster placement. Single stack and production divisions have equipment placement criteria, ie holsters and mags must be behind the hipbones. Just register for open/limited/or limited 10 if you want to carry forward of the hipbone.
    Same thing with if you want to run with a tac light attached, most divisions prohibit external weights so they are a no-go, so if you wanna practice with your weapon light attached just sign up for "open" division
    Just fyi, crossdraw and shoulder rigs are not allowed for safety reasons

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Great video. I wish more LEO/MIL guys would come compete. Active LEO/MIL seen to be able to get sponsors pretty quick too which always helps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12