Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stage with rifle to pistol transition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Stage with rifle to pistol transition

I am working some stages for a local match and would like to include a transition in a couple of them. The shooter would start with an empty rifle that would simulate a malfunction. At the buzzer, the shooter will come up on target and get a click then transition(using a sling). Once the pistol targets are cleared, the shooter will reholster and then load the rifle and engage the rifle targets.

Are there any safety concerns that jump out at anyone?
    Last edited by jtc556; 02-24-13 at 11:58.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Sling or barrel?
    HIPPIES SMELL

Feedback Score
    I would make sure the pistol was empty at the re-holster, or have them put it in a box, on a table etc. People who haven't practiced this in slow motion are dangerous- ad a timer and stress it's even worse.
    Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans and must be that of every free state. - T. Jefferson

EVERYCITIZENASOLDIER.org

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by currahee View Post
    I would make sure the pistol was empty at the re-holster, or have them put it in a box, on a table etc. People who haven't practiced this in slow motion are dangerous- ad a timer and stress it's even worse.
    I agree and thus my concern.

My goal was to get people thinking about and practicing a transition safely and correctly. The more I think about shooting matches and having to stage firearms (tables, barrels, etc...) the more I think there is a missed opportunity for increasing proficiency. Not at the expense of safety though.
    Last edited by jtc556; 02-24-13 at 11:22.

Feedback Score

Re: Stage with rifle to pistol transition

Quote Originally Posted by jtc556 View Post
    I agree and thus my concern.

My goal was to get people thinking about and practicing a transition safely and correctly. The more I think about shooting matches and having to stage firearms (tables, barrels, etc...) the more I think there is a missed opportunity increasing proficiency. Not at the expense of safety though.
    I dont compete but I want to. Waiting on a good shotgun. One observation though...which is in line with your post is the barrel/box thing.

I always thought it was odd. I understand safety is paramount...but I always like the thought of practicing for real events. Usings slings or holsters instead of dumping a mag into a box or leaving the weapon on a table. Then again, having never competed I guess I am talking out of my ass.

I like your idea. I hope you can work it out.
    "Seriously?" -SWATcop556

"I don't think so" - Iraqgunz

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Give them the option to re-holster or table the pistol.

Also, make 100% sure the written stage description says exactly what you mean.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by currahee View Post
    Agreed. And some ranges and sanctioned disciplines prohibit reholstering a loaded pistol while the timer is running.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedreaux View Post
    Sling or barrel?
    Sorry, I left that part out.
    The shooter would use a sling.

Feedback Score

Re: Stage with rifle to pistol transition

This makes since.
    "Seriously?" -SWATcop556

"I don't think so" - Iraqgunz

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you are going to have them have the rifle slung while engaging targets with a pistol I would use a bright colored OBI on the rifle, so there is no doubt about the chamber being empty. I have a yellow OBI that slides into the magazine well and holds the bolt open, which is what I would suggest.

If you have the shooter transition from the pistol to the rifle, I would require them to holster the pistol before engaging with the rifle. If they are not going to fire rounds from the pistol, have them show the magazine well and chamber are empty and let the slide go to full battery without pressing the trigger before holstering.

If you are going to have them transition from one weapon to another and fire live rounds with each one, I would use a barrel for the rifle and a rectangular box mounted to a table for the pistol to ensure the muzzle is pointed down range. The reason I suggest this for the pistol is that I have seen two people shoot themself in the leg while holstering their pistol.

You can always use bright colored rope that hangs out the end of the barrel and bottom of the magazine well of a rifle or pistol if you do not have an OBI available for competitors with different kinds of rifles and handguns.
    Last edited by T2C; 02-24-13 at 19:16.
    Train 2 Win

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast