Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floridians - Please read...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Floridians - Please read...

My apologies if this has already been posted...

FLORIDA CALL TO ACTION:

Please Support "Guns-Locked-Up-In-Your-Car Bill"
    Please Contact the Senate Criminal Justice Committee Today!

Date: March 14, 2008
    TO: USF & NRA Member and Friends
    USF Executive Director
    NRA Past President

Senate Bill 1130 by Senator Durrell Peaden (R-Crestview) [identical to the original HB-503 by Representative Greg Evers (R-Milton)] will protect your right to have a legal firearm in your car or truck for self-defense and other lawful purposes.

SB-1130 has been scheduled for a hearing before the Senate Criminal Justice Committee next Tuesday, March 18th at 2:15 pm.

It is time to start sending email to members of the Senate Criminal Justice Committee to let them know how important this bill is to law-abiding gun owners who carry firearms in their vehicles for protection and other lawful purposes.

Please immediately send email to members of the Committee and URGE THEM TO SUPPORT SB-1130 by Senator Peaden WITH NO AMENDMENTS.

Below is a list of the email addresses of those you need to contact:

IN THE SUBJECT LINE OF YOUR EMAIL PUT:

PLEASE SUPPORT SB-1130 the "Guns-locked-up-in-your-car bill"

To send one email to all committee members at the same time, block or highlight the entire list and then copy and paste the block into the address section of the email.

A colon or semi-colon could be needed after each name depending upon the email system an individual is using.

SENATE CRIMINAL JUSTICE COMMITTEE
    dockery.paula.web@flsenate.gov
    aronberg.dave.web@flsenate.gov
    bennett.mike.web@flsenate.gov
    crist.victor.web@flsenate.gov
    dawson.mandy.web@flsenate.gov
    king.james.web@flsenate.gov
    lynn.evelyn.web@flsenate.gov
    wilson.frederica.web@flsenate.gov
    wise.stephen.web@flsenate.gov

Background:

As previously reported, Representative Stan Mayfield, described the bill in a no-nonsense manner when speaking to the press. Representative Mayfield said:

"Everyone keeps calling it the guns-to-work bill. The fact of the matter is it's the guns-locked-up-in-your-car bill."

The bill protects your right to have a firearm locked in your vehicle for self-defense and other lawful purposes when it is parked in a business parking lot.

The bill never has been a "guns-to-work" bill. That is a phrase made up by anti-gun opponents of the bill, to confuse people and legislators.

Click here for a copy of SB-1130, please click here.

For more information on the issue, please click here.

ADDITIONAL BACKGROUND:

This bill will stop business entities from searching private vehicles and violating the constitutional rights of customers and employees.

Your Second Amendment rights are at the very heart of this issue.

In addition to prohibiting searches of private vehicles in parking lots, the bill will also prevent businesses from asking customers or employees to disclose what personal private property is stored in a private vehicle and prevents action against customers and employees who refuse to divulge that private information. Further, it prohibits action against a customer or employee based on information provided by a third party.

Some Florida businesses are trying to ban guns in cars in parking lot used by customers and employees. They are discriminating against people who exercise their constitutional rights - they are violating the constitutional rights of gun owners and Florida law.

Corporate giants have been trampling constitutional rights. Some are even attempting to coerce and intimidate gun owners into giving up constitutional rights as a condition of employment.

Your Rights are in Danger!

(1) YOUR Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms - to have firearms in your vehicle for self-defense and other lawful purposes must be protected from anti-gun businesses;

(2) YOUR property and privacy rights - against searches of your private vehicle in parking lots must be protected from anti-gun businesses;

(3) YOUR right to freedom - from coercion, intimidation and termination of employment for exercising constitutional rights by anti-gun employers must be preserved; and

(4) YOUR right to meaningful self-protection - must be maintained regardless of where you park your car.

This bill protects your right have a firearm in your locked vehicle for lawful purposes and to park your vehicle in parking lots when shopping, working or transacting business.

Carrying firearms in a vehicle for hunting, target shooting or protection of yourself and your family obviously means you can leave that firearm locked in the vehicle in a parking lot when you go grocery shopping, to the doctor's office, to the movie theater, to visit a sick friend in the hospital, to rent a movie, to the shoe store or anywhere else normal people travel to conduct business.

Florida law, the U.S. Constitution, and the Florida Constitution clearly and unequivocally give law-abiding citizens the right to have firearms in their vehicles for lawful purposes.

Since there are CURRENTLY NO PENALTIES for this law and numerous businesses are violating the law and are banning firearms in their parking lots. Some gun ban policies apply to customers and employees.

here's the quick email I sent:

Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2008 10:21 PM
    To: 'dockery.paula.web@flsenate.gov'; 'aronberg.dave.web@flsenate.gov';
    'bennett.mike.web@flsenate.gov'; 'crist.victor.web@flsenate.gov';
    'dawson.mandy.web@flsenate.gov'; 'king.james.web@flsenate.gov';
    'lynn.evelyn.web@flsenate.gov'; 'wilson.frederica.web@flsenate.gov';
    'wise.stephen.web@flsenate.gov'

Subject: PLEASE SUPPORT SB-1130 the "Guns-locked-up-in-your-car bill"

Importance: High

Dear Friends,

Florida law, the U.S. Constitution, and the Florida Constitution clearly and unequivocally give law-abiding citizens the right to have firearms in their vehicles for lawful purposes. I urge you to support SB-1130 which affirms the intent and purpose of existing legislation and constitutional privileges.

Sincerely,

czydj

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    E-mails sent.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by czydj View Post
    Florida law, the U.S. Constitution, and the Florida Constitution clearly and unequivocally give law-abiding citizens the right to have firearms in their vehicles for lawful purposes.
    I'm curious. What do those documents say about having a firearm on private property?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I'm curious. What do those documents say about having a firearm on private property?

I really don't want to turn this thread into a debate about rights on private property. There are laws on the books that speak to those rights. I believe we are all fully aware our employers sets the rules at the workplace and we follow them / disregard them according to conscience.

This communication is to stress concern regarding government enacting more restrictive legislation controlling where a law abiding citizen can legally provide the means for self-defense.

Less is more, eh?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

Florida statutes 790.25 / n. "A person possessing arms at his or her home or place of business" is legal

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by czydj View Post
    I really don't want to turn this thread into a debate about rights on private property. There are laws on the books that speak to those rights. I believe we are all fully aware our employers sets the rules at the workplace and we follow them / disregard them according to conscience.

This communication is to stress concern regarding government enacting more restrictive legislation controlling where a law abiding citizen can legally provide the means for self-defense.

Less is more, eh?
    But this bill goes directly to that issue. I simply find it somewhat disturbing that the "right" are willing to use such liberal tactics when it serves their purposes.

The "right" to self defense does not trump the "right" to control your private property. Similarly, the right to control your private property does not restrict the right to self defense. If someone wants to exercise their right to self defense they simply respect the rights of the private property owner and go somewhere else.

I will not support a bill that is aimed at protecting the poor downtrodden proletariat from the evil doings of "big business", simply because I am supposed to have more sympathy for the "poor working man" than I do "the man". The current system allows for both the rights of the citizen and the rights of the property owner. The proposed bill violates the rights of the property owner in favor of the alleged "rights" of the citizen. It is morally, politically, and ethically corrupt.

To sum up, if you don't like your company's policies, either violate them, keep your mouth shut, and accept the consequences if caught, or find another job.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkz71 View Post
    Florida statutes 790.25 / n. "A person possessing arms at his or her home or place of business" is legal
    Does that statute trump the rights of the private property owner? Does a private property owner, by banning firearms on their property, violate that statute?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I believe the private property owner has the right to ban weapons on their property, but I don't think they should have the right to search another persons private property or "private conveyance" in this case to look for a weapon.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I agree that they do not have the right to search the car, unless of course that employee signed away that right when they took the job.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Again, I agree with you. I however would never sign such a document.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast