Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Duty" Folding Knife

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

"Duty" Folding Knife

I bought a Gerber 3-4 years ago at the PX and really liked it, but lost it the other day in the woods. I don't know the model, but it was assisted opening (which I really liked) and about $80. It was the only one I had so I'm looking for another. I said duty because its not going to be an EDC in civvies type thing but more of EDC in uniform. I don't need a tomahawk or fighting knife, but am also not concerned about it being easily concealed. I used the other one for basic cutting usually (MRE's, 550 cord, etc), but used it quite a bit. I do want something versatile though. I'd kind of like to be one and done on this since I'm not a huge knife guy. I'd also prefer to stick between Benchmade, Gerber, and SOG since I get discounts from all of those. It seems like that's the order for quality between the 3? I like the way the Benchmade Adamas looks, seems like a beast. Assisted opening (not so much auto) would be a plus. Any ideas?
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    I highly recommend a Kershaw Knockout...about $60, spring assisted with a flipper, light, large belly, very good blade steel, aluminum handle with a steel framelock, comes razor sharp out of the box. A less expensive heavier option is the Kershaw Cryo...Rick Hinderer design, steel handles, slightly cheaper blade steel, but has some gimping, and is damn solid too at around $30

http://www.kershaw-knives.net/Kershaw-Knockout-1870.php

http://www.kershaw-knives.net/Kershaw-Cryo-1555TI.php

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Benchmade Barrage or Mini-barrage, but they are spendy at $100+.
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    I've had a Benchmade on me for the last ten years. Imo you cannot beat Benchmade's Axis lock system. Their quality is awesome.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post
    Benchmade Barrage or Mini-barrage, but they are spendy at $100+.
    I should've mentioned, $140 is about the max I'd want to spend so that's doable.

Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    I've had a Benchmade on me for the last ten years. Imo you cannot beat Benchmade's Axis lock system. Their quality is awesome.
    I saw you recommend them in some other knife threads, didn't you also like the Barrage or was it a different model?
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My every day carry is a Benchmade Osborne 940. I have had more than a few knives over the years but this is one of my all time favorites. It might suit your needs well.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I saw you recommend them in some other knife threads, didn't you also like the Barrage or was it a different model?
    The Mini Barrage has been my edc for about 2 years now, its a sweet knife. My only complaint is the blade profile doesnt have the best tip, however the 154CM steel is easy to sharpen and holds and edge forever.

The Griptilian family is also great if you do not want spend a little more for an assisted open.
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 02-27-13 at 01:11.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For a uniform pocket blade I use CRKT m-16 something or others. They are about $40 a pop and I don't get too pissed if I lose 'em.

I tend to buy 1 or 2 a year, just in case ya know. I gifted them to my groomsmen and ushers with their names engraved on 'em.

It's a cheap do all knife that's fairly easy to put an edge on. I don't like spending much more than $50 or so bucks on a knife as I tend to lose them or use them for something a screwdriver or pry would be better at.

I'd guess I have somewhere between 5-12 of the things between my various bags, cars, pants pockets and boots.
    OEF X-XI

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Also look at Kershaw and Zero Tolerance. You can usually find companies that sell them with an LE/MIL discount. Spyderco also has an LE/MIL discount and are well made.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Between the three makers you listed, I would pick Benchmade all the way. But my own personal preference is for Spyderco.
    Two broken Tigers, on fire in the night,
    Flicker their souls to the wind...
    -Roads to Moscow

Not Forgotten:
    http://www.virtualwall.org/dk/KillenJD01a.htm
    http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BoddenTR01a.htm

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast