Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Duty" Folding Knife

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Re: "Duty" Folding Knife

Quote Originally Posted by bruin View Post
    Hard to go wrong between Benchmade, Kershaw, and Spyderco. You'll get great warranty service from all of them and find discounts/deals on the knife you want. I would aim for at least S30V or D2 steel because I prefer to go longer between sharpening and run thinner edges, where 154CM and cheaper steels don't hold up as well.

If you want more of a pure slicer, check out the Spyderco Military (for a 4" blade), Paramilitary (smaller ~3.5" blade), or Manix 2 (~3.5" blade but beefier handle). If you want a stouter blade, check out the Zero Tolerance line from Kershaw (i.e. 0350, 0566 coming soon).

Are you looking for a particular blade shape? Length? Weight? For example, the BM Adamas and bit ZT folders are pretty heavy for most people, but personally I don't "feel" a folder in my pocket that's under 4oz.
    How is 154cm a cheaper steel? It's considered by most to be a super steel almost identical in composition to ats34, which is also a super steel. And d2 is a tool steel which is more ideal for fixed blades than folders due to it not being stainless. While d2 has great corrosion resistance for a tool steel, it doesn't hold a candle compared to the high tech stainless super steels now common place in folders.

Out of the knives I actually own and use, my favorite steels are vg10, s30v, and 154cm. All three take a wicked edge and stay sharp for a loong time, with S30v lasting the longest. Unfortunately s30v is a bitch to sharpen so my everyday knife is now a benchmade 520 presidio in 154cm, which was not a cheap knife or steel.

To the op, buy whatever you like, as long as its from a reputable manufacturer you should be fine.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Yeah, on second thought D2 is pretty comparable to 154CM. Though both are cheaper than S30V, which is about the best you can get under $140. If you stretch it you can find some ELMAX or M390 knives in that price range.

Steel is just one aspect to consider - for example the Emerson CQC-8 is 90s era tech, but the design itself is phenomenal IMHO. I think the OP should get the best he can afford, but don't let steel alone hold a great knife back.

Feedback Score
    Spyderco Pacific Salt. It is a quality knife that dosen't look like it was made to stab skulls.

It has H1 steel that is rust proof. (chemicaly different from "normal" steel) So you won't have to worry about it if you get rained on all night. (I once lost a knife to rust from ONE night of rain and sweat, It was a CRKT M16)

It is the size of the Spyderco Endura so it is light enough and thin enough to take into the field. And it won't break the bank on price.

I've found it to be a perfect knife for Firefighters/Emt's I've cut seatbelts, life safty grade rope, opened letters, cut clothing/shoes off of patients, plastic containers, rubber tubing, nomex threading, I even cut up a traffic cone with it so the cone would fit into a cramped compartment on our truck. It is great. I would say it holds it edge pretty well. I would put it somewhere betweeon 8CR13MOV/AUS8 and 154CM/VG10. So its isn't going to amaze you but it is pretty good.
    Last edited by Fly8791; 03-04-13 at 08:21.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I love the Emerson "hook" for being able to open one handed while drawing from the pocket.

For a cheaper alternative Spyderco makes the Endura and Delica which is great for everday cutting of rope.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by domestique View Post
    I love the Emerson "hook" for being able to open one handed while drawing from the pocket.

For a cheaper alternative Spyderco makes the Endura and Delica which is great for everday cutting of rope.
    +1 on the Emerson with the Wave opening feature. I carry the CQC-7 at work and think it's a great knife.

Feedback Score
    Cold steel has quite a few high value folders that are very well suited for duty use/carry great warranty and customer service as well

Feedback Score
    Just picked up a Boker plus Nano that resides in my pocket now. I usually carry the ZT 550 most of the time.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

"Duty" Folding Knife

I'm not LE or military, but I have the BM grip and mini grip. Love 'em. The mini fits perfectly in the change pocket of my jeans, and is my edc.

Feedback Score
    Another Benchmade vote here.

Either a Griptilian or a Mini-Griptilian.

That axis lock is outstanding.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Re: "Duty" Folding Knife

I would go for a Spyderco Paramilitary 2.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast