Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Short stroking?

Feedback Score
    While you're at it, check the carrier key.

I swear one of these days I'm going to start tack-welding the damn things on, just to keep them from coming loose.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick sweeney View Post
    While you're at it, check the carrier key.

I swear one of these days I'm going to start tack-welding the damn things on, just to keep them from coming loose.
    Are your keys staked?? I've never seen a properly staked key come loose... I had a bolt break which caused gas leaking... but have only seen loose keys on unstaked carriers.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I've seen un-staked, marginally staked, and properly staked ones come loose. I'll have to admit that the ones that were properly staked, that came loose, did so because one of the screw heads broke.

A second-semester Engineering student who submitted a design like the attachment method of the carrier key would get a failing grade from his/her professor, and rightly so.

The only way worse would be to use duct tape.

But, we're verging off-topic.
    Last edited by patrick sweeney; 02-28-13 at 13:56.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick sweeney View Post
    But, we're verging off-topic.
    It's ok.. it's good info. PLUS.. it could be part of the guy's problem above. A busted bolt can be a trick to find. Mine even stumped Specialized Armament when I took it in.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score

Problem solved.......I think.

Attachment 15660

Look at the buffer & spring on the right. See how the spring doesn't fully seat onto the buffer as compared to the other two? This translates into about 1/8 less travel for the BCG. The only way I could get the bolt to lock back with the one on the right was if I pulled it clear by hand. It was just clearing the bolt catch when I did this. Switching to either of the other two allowed the extra travel on the BCG. Now I just need to get to the range to burn a few rounds and confirm. As I said in previous posts, the lower and it's components is the only variable here, the upper, and mags are all tried and true on other ARs. Thanks for all your help and input on this. I did inspect all the mentioned components on the upper, and it is gtg. I'll follow up again after a range test.
    I know of no safe depository of the ultimate powers of the society but the people themselves; and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it from them but to inform their discretion.

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Well that's a new one to me.

Feedback Score
    Any markings on that buffer weight? Any idea where it came from?

And can the spring be roved down over the secondary shoulder, to create a more-correct assembled size?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah... I mean.. that's what I have to do any time the buffer is separated from the spring. I'd have guessed that the first time you fired it the spring would have snapped into proper position over the buffer.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You should be able to twist that spring over the shoulder. Clean off all that grease, there is no need for it.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I am fairly certain that the S&W carbines are overgassed and that you should be running at least an H.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast