Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting bent over and raped by American Express - a story. (A Rant)

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Getting bent over and raped by American Express - a story. (A Rant)

(This is entirely unrelated to a thread I made a week or so ago about credit cards)

So last month I opened an AMEX Blue cash back card. I only had one credit card and figured I might as well grab another one. When I applied I did NOT ask for a balance transfer or enter any of my old CC info AT ALL

Lo and behold the next day there is an email saying my balance transfer request for $3000 is pending. I don't even have a balance on my other credit card, let alone need to transfer anything. How the hell did they get my CC info? And who put in this $3000 figure? Wtf? So I call....

I got through to the exceptionally polite (but proportionally uneducated) Indian call center and after talking to several different people several different times their answer was all the same "I see your balance transfer request. Please call when you get your card in the mail, we can't cancel it until then."

So I wait. A week later my card arrives and I call them back. I get some guy who sounds like he's walking around a shopping mall, he takes my information and sees the request and says "Alright, I just cancelled it. Is there anything else I can do for you?"
    I told him I wanted confirmation of some sort. Email, letter, etc. He said sure I'd have it soon.

Next day, no confirmation. So I call back. "Sure Mr.Euro we'll get it to you in the mail soon"

Today, what do you know. My AMEX account is short $3000 and the balance transfer is approved.

So I call again. "Oh, I'm showing that you called this day and this day and this day but you shoud've been told we don't cancel balance transfers. You should've thought about it before you requested one"

Brodudes - In all my life I have never understood how my drill instructors were able to get so angry. I think I realized the trick this morning - they call AMEX with serious problems and then run into the squad bay.

I had to hang up. I was furious the rest of the day. I sent them a secure message through their webiste (So I would finally have some sort of paper trail) and they said they would credit my account $21.38 (what a random ass number) for the inconvenience but they could do nothing about the $150 balance transfer fee (5% of $3000)

And the worst part? I signed on the dotted line and I can't get an American on the phone to save my life. Dave Ramsey is ****ing right.

So now both of my credit cards are all sorts of ****ed up and I have to:

-Request a $3000 check from my other credit card company.
    -Pay $3150 toward my AMEX
    -Not profit.

TL;DR
    AMEX is a bunch of scumbag dumbasses
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 05-03-13 at 13:34.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Yup, AMEX is worthless. We have actually STOPPED accepting AMEX and Discover cards at our shop. AMEX charges us 12.5% per transaction, Discover charges us 7%.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    In six years my AMEX has been my best card. It wore out and they overnight end me a new one. I always talk to an American. Love that card.

If I were a vendor I would not take them though...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Getting bent over and raped by American Express - a story. (A Rant)

Wow that is interesting. Amex has always treated me right. Don't know about the transaction fees and such and to be honest I don't care. That's between them and their merchants.

Did they transfer your balance from your credit card or did the $$ go into cyberspace? Either way demand that they show you the signed paperwork authorizing the transfer. If they wont tell them they will be hearing from the DA and your lawyer. Did you make a copy of the app you sent in??

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Never had anything but first class, on the ball, got you covered, don't worry about a thing, it won't cost you a penny type service.

Having said that.... they do have some some stiff fees if you screw up.

You need to ask for a supervisor because unless you filled out some sort of deal where the cash advance was part of the deal, it sounds illegal. In fact, hearing you describe it I was thinking maybe you were being scammed by a fake "company".
    Last edited by tb-av; 05-03-13 at 14:32.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My old man had been an AMEX card holder since like 1984 or some crazyness like that, never missed a payment, never paid less than the full bill(at the time that was how AMEX worked until the early 2000's I think), etc.... In 2008(or there abouts, during the credit crisis) he gets a letter saying his APR is being jacked up to 30%(or some crazy ass number). He calls and says "I have been a member for 20+ years, never missed a payment, never paid less than full bill, etc.... and you are raising my interest rate to 30%?" the answer he got was "you were in the group", but the lady didnt know anything else. He said what group, I have an 800+ credit score, a ton of cash in the bank, own my home, cars, etc... outright, blah, blah, blah So he cancelled and said he would never do business with them again. This was a man that used AMEX for literally EVERYTHING and paid his bill every month on time in full.

My buddies that own business's wont take amex anymore either since most have stories about getting screwed out of thousands because AMEX sides with the customer first and not the business and then you as the business owner have to prove the charges were legit. One of my buddies went as far as having the accused person arrested because the bill was about 25k. Cops picked up the guy, figured out he had done this A LOT(bought shit, told amex it was fraud or bad transaction or something) and now the dude is in prison for multiple counts of felony fraud. It was only after the dude was convicted and sentenced(2+ years) that my buddy got his money from AMEX.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Did you keep a copy of the application/contract you signed and sent to AMEX? If you didn't, you should have, or get another copy. READ IT CAREFULLY. I'll bet you unknowingly did authorize the transfer, or I would call them and demand them to show me in writing where I DID agree to a transfer, or they can take their "fee" and shove it where the sun don't shine.

Lesson learned. Read IN DETAIL any applicaiton you sign, and contract, etc. If you see something you don't like, DO NOT SIGN IT.

I grudingly and on rare Occassions accept AMEX. The charge 2X what VISA/MC/DISCOVER charge in fees.
    "Those who do can't explain; those who don't can't understand"...

Feedback Score
    AMEX is a bag of dicks.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    amex user since mid80s.
    love it, I bought a car on amex one time, boy did they start sucking up to me after that

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I own a business and won't take Amex. On moral grounds, and to not be hypocritical, I do not have one either.
    Last edited by TMS951; 05-03-13 at 18:12. Reason: Grammar

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast